what is the best way to down-rez to SD?

Paul Marschall

I will be shooting a 720/24pn or 720/30pn project for tv broadcast that will be archived HD but broadcast SD and would like to know the best way to get the SD master. The project wil be cut in FCP and, ideally (but not likely), output uncompressed for color correction at a post facility. What would be the best way to get an SD master? I suppose it would be best to have the post facility do it, but that may not be an option. Also, am I correct in assuming that shooting 30pn would give me a better quality down-rez to SD?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
I will be shooting a 720/24pn or 720/30pn project for tv broadcast that will be archived HD but broadcast SD and would like to know the best way to get the SD master. The project wil be cut in FCP and, ideally (but not likely), output uncompressed for color correction at a post facility. What would be the best way to get an SD master? I suppose it would be best to have the post facility do it, but that may not be an option. Also, am I correct in assuming that shooting 30pn would give me a better quality down-rez to SD?

Thanks.

As for your last question: No.

You will get more recording time into your p2 cards, though.

I would sugest that the easiest way would be to render an incompressed master ouut of FCP, if your CC unit could handle QT files. But that is only me...

Gunleik

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

The best (and most cost effective) way to properly downrez (and frame-rate convert) is to use a 1200A deck with firewire control out from FCP 5.0.4

The deck will do everything perfectly (as long as you know how to set it to the right settings).