Super 1.85:1 vs. Regular 1.85:1

Louis

I'm prepping my first 35mm shoot, and the rental house has asked me what kind of ground glass I need. I told them 1.85 ground glass, and they asked me "super 1.85 or regular 1.85". What's the difference between the two? I plan on finishing on DigiBeta, but we might also need a film print eventually. Which one is just the standard aspect ratio?

If you are finishing it on Digibeta and not with the intend of producing a film print. Then I would shoot it 3-perf Super 1.78:1.

But since you metnioned a film print. Then I'd stick with regular four perf 1.85:1 unless you can afford a DI.

Edited by Arni Heimir

They are the same aspect ratio, 1.85, the difference is in what portion of the negative you are using. "Regular 1.85" means that your image is located inside the Academy frame, leaving room on the film for a soundtrack later in the printing stages. "Super 1.85" means that you're using the entire width of the negative and therefore leaving no room for a soundtrack to printed on. Therefore to make a print, you would have to go through an optical blow-up or a digital intermediate which would be expensive. If you want to protect yourself and be able to make a contact print at some point, shoot regular 1.85.

Jamie makes a good point, don't be afraid to ask people at the rental house to explain things that you don't understand. It's expensive gear and everybody is happier when it comes back in one piece.