RED frame grabs...

Jim Jannard

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But what kind of stogie is it?

That's a 2k blonde in the porsche shot isn't it? What other lights were used in the setup? It is very impressive how both the black flag and the light itself hold detail.

Amazing photos indeed. I wish I could see it in motion. Next you'll have to take meter readings, I'm dying for that information!

But what kind of stogie is it?

That's a 2k blonde in the porsche shot isn't it? What other lights were used in the setup? It is very impressive how both the black flag and the light itself hold detail.

Amazing photos indeed. I wish I could see it in motion. Next you'll have to take meter readings, I'm dying for that information!

What is the blonde lighting ? the shot as in most studio car shots are top soft lit . John Holland ,London.

I dont mean to be rude, but a shot of two page 3 girls smoking a cigar and a flash sports car (filmed with a camera that looks like a gun)... its all a little bit eighties isn't it?

keith

I dont mean to be rude, but i enjoyed girls, smoking a cigar, and a flash sports car not only in the eighties.

camera, concept, imagequality (saw them on 4K projection at IBC06) and businessmodel are rather 2010, imho.

We are a garage operation and had three days to shoot something to get ready for IBC. We can handle the 1980's comments. We are building a camera, not trying to raise funds for a movie. We have just posted the 1st 2k image. It is interesting because it captures that "instant". Please note the noise levels (or lack thereof). And the "hand" that certainly does NOT smack of video. A 4k version (8-bit jpeg) will be posted tomorrow.

http://red.com/gallery-still.htm

Jim

A 4k version (8-bit jpeg) will be posted tomorrow.

Hi Jim,

A 10 or 12 bit or tiff dpx would be more appropriate, no?

Just wondering, if you're rating your camera at 100 or 160 asa, wouldn't you expect a noise free image from any decent sensor? I would guess that 160asa is a fairly conservative rating in favor of shadow detail and less noise. It would be intresting to know what your range you think the sensor would be useful for (ie. how far can you push it before the noise becomes too apparent and starts popping the patterns). You can sort of guess by gaining up the jpeg but it would be a very crude guess. (and obviously it's too early to be meaningful because alot of things will be different once it's actually a shipping product).

BTW, have you shot with the MasterPrimes yet? They lean more towards the Cooke's warmth than the UltraPrimes and they hold sharpness really well out to the edges. I'm a bit suprised with the falloff at T1.3 though (although, I have to say as a personal preference I really like the falloff at F1 on the Noctilux).

Cheers,

Deanan

Deanan... we haven't shot the Ultra Primes yet. Got a set you want to lend us?

We'll post 12-bit tiffs pretty soon. Remember, we are still a few months out from shipping. ISO is a very tricky subject. We are playing it on the conservative side until we do more testing. Our sensor turned on for the 1st time about 4 weeks ago. And we spent a lot of time getting ready for, and attending, IBC. We are now back on the development track. By showing "work in progress" it is easy to assume we are done. We are not. The images we have posted don't even have dead pixel correction. We'd like to get a few more things done before we post full 4k images that will be under a microscope.

Jim

Edited by Jim Jannard

Deanan... we haven't shot the Ultra Primes yet. Got a set you want to lend us?

We'll post 12-bit tiffs pretty soon. Remember, we are still a few months out from shipping. ISO is a very tricky subject. We are playing it on the conservative side until we do more testing. Our sensor turned on for the 1st time about 4 weeks ago. And we spent a lot of time getting ready for, and attending, IBC. We are now back on the development track. By showing "work in progress" it is easy to assume we are done. We are not. The images we have posted don't even have dead pixel correction. We'd like to get a few more things done before we post full 4k images that will be under a microscope.

Jim

I think people are already putting you under the microscope and while jpegs may say don't put

me under a microscope, people are already putting the jpegs through torture and making assumptions

based on an 8 bit image.

Cheers,

Deanan

Holy smokes those look like video! Not even remotely close to the look of 35mm. I mean they look "good" as in the same as what you'd expect from a digital stills camera, but nothing like a "feature film."

Question: on the Red home page there appears to be smoke coming out of the Red camera. Is this what one can expect when they start using it, spontaneous camera combustion?

R,

Holy smokes those look like video! Not even remotely close to the look of 35mm. I mean they look "good" as in the same as what you'd expect from a digital stills camera, but nothing like a "feature film."

Question: on the Red home page there appears to be smoke coming out of the Red camera. Is this what one can expect when they start using it, spontaneous camera combustion?

R,

I'm sure if you were to add a bit of grain, they would certainly have the "feel" of film as everything else seems to be there.

Hey Jim and the rest of the Red Team,

These images look amazing to me. I'm a working DP shooting Commercials and Music Videos ( and the odd feature too ) in mostly working in 35mm and a occaisonally little HD and Viper. The latitude that is evident in these Jpegs is amazing as is the lack of noise. those are the holy grails of imaging as far as I am concerned ( to capture clean, wide latitude images which I can color electronically ). I can add contrast or grain should I desire. The fleshtones are a little off, but it's early and you are still nailing the lut's. It's silly to pick these apart at this point

Anyway, good Job and I am thrilled with the progress

I have lots of thoughts on how the ergonomics, EVF and other bits of the camera should work and would be interested and happy to take part in those discussions, and perhaps have some suggestions in creating the next round of test footage.

Matt Uhry DP, LA

www.fuzby.com

• Premium Member

R,

Good grief Richard, I am rolling over here from laughing so hard. I was wondering when my film mate would pay a visit here and make a comment. We may not agree on Steve Irwin but with this, i have your back entirely. The images look great, but nothing like 35mm. Also, the images prove that we could use black as a set background if we wanted to.

Edited by Matthew W. Phillips

Good grief Richard, I am rolling over here from laughing so hard. I was wondering when my film mate would pay a visit here and make a comment. We may not agree on Steve Irwin but with this, i have your back entirely. The images look great, but nothing like 35mm. Also, the images prove that we could use black as a set background if we wanted to.

Ooooooook, but I'm not 100% sure if you're saying that you really are in agreement with me here, or not?

What is confusing me is when you say "I am rolling over here from laughing so hard."

Maybe I should post some 35mm frame grabs so that people can see what I mean when I say, "not like 35mm."

The other confusing thing about Red while we're on this topic is....is Red designed to look like 35mm in the first place? Or is it for a completely different market? I mean is Red expecting er, The Sopranos, & CSI, to use Red instead of 35mm?

R,