Break-in...

Jim Jannard

There was a break-in at the RED offices last night. Everything they took was camera and camera file related. We will NOT be slowed up by this distraction, but we are offering a $50K reward for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of those that did this.

Jim

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This really adds an intriguing dimension to the whole Red story. I mean could this have been done by people engaged in corporate espionage?

It sounds like the thieves knew exactly what they where looking for, quite possibly an inside job then.

I assume your offices are in a secure building, it's not like you have a retail store downtown with glass windows.

Very, very, strange.

R,

That is not cool!

Not cool at all...

Industrial espionage?

With this, should i say "before time" pushing of the

D-Cinema envelope, stirring the big players up,

i was wandering how well protected this project is.

Sorry to hear this.

Hope you and your team didn't loss anything that will

slow down your progress.

Best regards.

Igor Trajkovski

• Premium Member
This really adds an intriguing dimension to the whole Red story. I mean could this have been done by people engaged in corporate espionage?

It sounds like the thieves knew exactly what they where looking for, quite possibly an inside job then.

I assume your offices are in a secure building, it's not like you have a retail store downtown with glass windows.

Very, very, strange.

R,

Yeah Richard, I think it is very strange indeed. I caution those that say Sony or whatnot as you can actually be sued for saying that. I would believe Richard that this is an inside job as well. Perhaps someone who is very trusted in the organization?

I don't mean to make light of the situation, it's definitely uncool, but it actually sounds like the basis for an interesting film. All industrial espionage-ey, maybe the first narrative to be shot with the red. Could it really be industrial espionage though ? It seems like if that were the case, the perpetrator would have to realize that they would be found out, based on what they develop out of it. Maybe some governmental entity ? North Korea ? Ford Motors ? Will we see footage next week on youtube ? $100k is a lot, I'm sure you'll get the culprit in the end.

• Premium Member
There was a break-in at the RED offices last night. Jim

I suggest you call the US Attorney's office, they may be intriqued by the possibility that the perp(s) could be an offshore company since several of your potential competitors are overseas.

• Premium Member
I suggest you call the US Attorney's office, they may be intriqued by the possibility that the perp(s) could be an offshore company since several of your potential competitors are overseas.

LOL, not to be rude but all of you folks are getting way ahead of yourselves. Not saying that industrial espionage doesnt happen, but you have nothing to go by to even make that sort of accusation. It seems far more plausible that someone who has clearance "stole" the information and whatnot. As far as finding a culprit easy by if someone puts out an equivocal product, you oviously know little about business. Reverse engineering has been around for decades and thats all thats really needed to copy another product. How do you think all the IBM PC clones came to market? Certainly not from a break in.

LOL, not to be rude but all of you folks are getting way ahead of yourselves. Not saying that industrial espionage doesnt happen, but you have nothing to go by to even make that sort of accusation. It seems far more plausible that someone who has clearance "stole" the information and whatnot. As far as finding a culprit easy by if someone puts out an equivocal product, you oviously know little about business. Reverse engineering has been around for decades and thats all thats really needed to copy another product. How do you think all the IBM PC clones came to market? Certainly not from a break in.
I agree. But someone was.

• Premium Member
Reverse engineering has been around for decades and thats all thats really needed to copy another product. How do you think all the IBM PC clones came to market? Certainly not from a break in.

Your logic fails, RED is NOT on the market. You can't reverse engineer a product you can't get your hands on. I've done a fair amount of reverse engineering over the years, Jim hasn't publicly published anything that has given me the slightest idea of how he's doing things - except for the tidbits he's disclosed here and there.

Jim,

If you're reading this, I suggest you get your foundry locked down as soon as possible, unless they already run that kind of "skunk works" operation.

My impression is that someone didn't want to wait for RED to be formerly released to the public. Someone wanted to get a head start on knowing what Jim's accomplished.

Hey guy, it was just speculating, no need to be snide. Quite obviously, any product that is released is subject to being knocked off, but since the red system is (hypothetically) somewhat unique, it would seem pretty obvious if another company rushed something out very similar that they had a leg up. Of course I agree that espionage is by far the least likely (but most interesting) scenario.

• Premium Member
I don't mean to make light of the situation, it's definitely uncool, but it actually sounds like the basis for an interesting film.

Yeah, the script could go something like this: New hi-tech startup borrows lots of money to develop prototype. Investors get antsy when prototype doesn't live up to hype...feel they're being taken for a ride. When company can't make good on investment, investors decide to confiscate equipment. Company employees hasten to hide gear, claiming it was stolen. They even keep jacking up the reward money, since they know it will never be paid anyway. Company brass end up being charged with fraud, after which they're sent to "country club" prison, where they proceed to hustle fellow prisoners into backing them for the next startup, which will be referred to as "Blue". Sorry, I couldn't resist, but something sounds fishy.

Yeah, the script could go something like this: New hi-tech startup borrows lots of money to develop prototype. Investors get antsy when prototype doesn't live up to hype...feel they're being taken for a ride. When company can't make good on investment, investors decide to confiscate equipment. Company employees hasten to hide gear, claiming it was stolen. They even keep jacking up the reward money, since they know it will never be paid anyway. Company brass end up being charged with fraud, after which they're sent to "country club" prison, where they proceed to hustle fellow prisoners into backing them for the next startup, which will be referred to as "Blue". Sorry, I couldn't resist, but something sounds fishy.

Glad I'm not the only one.

R,

Why don't you guys come help us clean up the glass? I can't believe I stayed here this long to put up with this crap.

Last post.

Jim

• Premium Member
Why don't you guys come help us clean up the glass? I can't believe I stayed here this long to put up with this crap.

Last post.

Jim

Jim, why dont you look after your project man. If I had reserved one, I would be pissed right now. But not at the burgler but at you for not protecting our interest. Sir, it all comes down to you. You are the leader and the praise and the blame stops at you. I assume 20+ years in business taught you that much.

Guys, why not give Jim the benefit of the doubt. He's been living up to his end of the bargain despite tremendous criticism. It's a shame and there's no reason to not believe him.

Even IF it were all a hoax, it still benefits us because it's created competition, whether real or fake.

Jim, I'll help you clean up the glass. I wish your PM worked...I've been trying to get a hold of you!