How to shoot for best slow-motion in post?

Jim Feldspar

I've been shooting video, both 30 F.P.S. and 24P and doing slow motion using the speed

adjustment in Final Cut Pro. It doesn't always look as good as I would like (I know of course

that it's not going to be the same as shooting a higher frame rate in the first place) but I've

heard that a different shutter speed can make a difference if you know that you're going to

slow the footage down. I usually shoot at 1/60. Are there good shutter speeds if you're going to

adjust in Final Cut Pro?

If you know that you're going to have to duplicate frames in order to acheive a slow motion look, then it depends on what you want. If you want a rather blurry and slurred look (a la Chungking Express or the standoff scene in Three Kings), then you'd want the shutter angle to be maxed out, so that you retain motion blur as best as possible. However, if you want it to look as crisp and frozen as possible, then you're going to want to close down the shutter as tight as possible. Closing down to 11.2 degrees, for example, will lose 4 stops of light compared to a normal 180 degree shutter. So you have to keep that in mind too. But it will render the image with clearer definition and less motion blur due to the much shorter exposure time.

jim mentioned he was shooting in video so your shutter angles would have no meaning for him. shutter speeds in video are expressed in fractions of a second thus jim's "1/60". the "chunking express" blurs would be at 1/6 or 1/12 and frozen action would be at much higher speeds like 1/10,000.