Need 8-but uncompressed codec for FCP 5

dr_gonzo

So I recently transferred all my S16 footage from digi beta to uncompressed quicktime files thanks to my friends editing suite at his job. The only problem is that I dont have the 8-bit uncompressed codec so I can edit. At this point every clip I put on the timeline needs to be rendered in order to view.

Any help would be amazing. Thanks!

So I recently transferred all my S16 footage from digi beta to uncompressed quicktime files thanks to my friends editing suite at his job. The only problem is that I dont have the 8-bit uncompressed codec so I can edit. At this point every clip I put on the timeline needs to be rendered in order to view.

Any help would be amazing. Thanks!

So I now have the standard FCP 8-bit uncompressed codec, but whenever I drag my files to the timeline I still need to render...whats goin on???

• Premium Member
So I now have the standard FCP 8-bit uncompressed codec, but whenever I drag my files to the timeline I still need to render...whats goin on???

Go to audio/video settings in the FCP menu, copy down ALL your settings. Then go to the sequence menu and check to see if they are the same as those in the A/V. It sounds like you have a mismatch somewhere.

If you have a mismatch, start a new sequence with the correct settings and delete the old one.

Go to audio/video settings in the FCP menu, copy down ALL your settings. Then go to the sequence menu and check to see if they are the same as those in the A/V. It sounds like you have a mismatch somewhere.

If you have a mismatch, start a new sequence with the correct settings and delete the old one.

thanks Tim I've got the same problem and Im trying to figure it out!

Tim I did what you said, and in my A/V settings everything was set as 8-bit uncompressed except for the capture setting (which i would assume doesnt matter since Ive already captured everything elsewhere). And as for my system settings, my playback control is set as 2:3:2:3 could that be the culprit?

• Premium Member

Tim I did what you said, and in my A/V settings everything was set as 8-bit uncompressed except for the capture setting (which i would assume doesnt matter since Ive already captured everything elsewhere). And as for my system settings, my playback control is set as 2:3:2:3 could that be the culprit?

Since your capture is not set to 8-bit uncompressed, it's possible you did NOT capture the material that way. In the browser, scroll over to the right and check the capture settings and see how your clips were captured. Did you capture with a Kona card? How did you take in the material uncompressed? You can't do it over firewire.

As for the pulldown (2:3:2:3), I'm on shakier ground but I believe you need to remove the pulldown before you start adding clips to the (23.976fps) timeline. Hopefully someone with more experience editing 24p will chime in.

There are a lot more editors on thhe 2-POP forums and also you can try the LAFCPUG forums.

you may want to check exactly how the material was captured. There are a few different 'Uncompressed' Codecs. If your material wasn't captured using the FCP codec, but with another, say, the Blackmagic codec, you may have a problem.

I figured out the whole problem. I was working on a timeline that was imported from Final Cut HD ( i just upgraded to 5 yesterday). I opened a new one and didnt have to render a thing. Stupid mistake on my part. Thanks for your help!