Strange HD to mini-DV dubb problem

Frank Barrera

• Premium Member

Can someone figure out what this problem is?

I shot some HD for a cable show produced by a meduim sized company that does about a dozen different shows. I called up the manager to get a mini-dv dub of a couple of episodes so that I could throw some of the material on my reel. He's a professional and a good fellow and had a copy of one episode ready for me within a couple of days. I pick it up and play in on my Canon GL2 (my only mini dv capable deck) and it won't play correctly. It plays back in slow motion and with no sound. The little flip out display screen on the camera has an intermittent read out saying "stereo 16 bit" as if there's a loose cable. But I switch out cables and I get the same thing. Besides a loose cable would not explain the slow motion of video anyway.

So I call up the manager and he is surprised about the negative outcome but says no problem he'll over night me another tape. He said that they have a lot of big machines and maybe he pressed the wrong button. The next day I recieve two tapes. One of the original episode and another tape with a different episode. Of course the results are identical. So I think maybe it's my camera. I play the tapes on a friends little sony mini dv whatever model and I get the same results. ???

I called up the manager and he said he'll try again but I told him not to bother until I figure out what this might be. Could this be that he dubbed them at DV Cam speed? Does that make any sense? Would a DV-Cam ready deck solve this?

Any thoughts out there?

F

Can someone figure out what this problem is?

I shot some HD for a cable show produced by a meduim sized company that does about a dozen different shows. I called up the manager to get a mini-dv dub of a couple of episodes so that I could throw some of the material on my reel. He's a professional and a good fellow and had a copy of one episode ready for me within a couple of days. I pick it up and play in on my Canon GL2 (my only mini dv capable deck) and it won't play correctly. It plays back in slow motion and with no sound. The little flip out display screen on the camera has an intermittent read out saying "stereo 16 bit" as if there's a loose cable. But I switch out cables and I get the same thing. Besides a loose cable would not explain the slow motion of video anyway.

So I call up the manager and he is surprised about the negative outcome but says no problem he'll over night me another tape. He said that they have a lot of big machines and maybe he pressed the wrong button. The next day I recieve two tapes. One of the original episode and another tape with a different episode. Of course the results are identical. So I think maybe it's my camera. I play the tapes on a friends little sony mini dv whatever model and I get the same results. ???

I called up the manager and he said he'll try again but I told him not to bother until I figure out what this might be. Could this be that he dubbed them at DV Cam speed? Does that make any sense? Would a DV-Cam ready deck solve this?

Any thoughts out there?

F

It's certainly dubbed using a DV cam deck. I use my old GL-1 as my playback deck at home and have the same problems anytime Ive tried to play DVcam. Perhaps you can find a sony clamshell to digitize it, or at the very least a Sony camera which should be able to play it back for you.