Kino Flo Diva Lights

I am looking to buy a flourescent fixture to have a nice soft,lite, daylight or tungsten balance. I don't like that the flolights have reflective barndoors now, and Lowell has always felt cheap to me so they are out.

I am leaning at getting a Diva light but I only see 2900k bulbs for it and have heard mixed reviews on it. Any thoughts?

• Premium Member

The daylight tubes are alright. I don't have too many problems with them in the Diva Lite 200. I still think a 1K Chimera with Full CTB produces a much nicer quality of light (softer and more controllable with a fabric eggcrate) than any Kino Flo. I have many options from which to choose in my personal kit, and the flo's are always a last resort for me. I mainly have them for using in automobiles on inverters because of their low power requirements. But, flo's aren't always the best choice for softlight... Far from it, IMO.

Of all the Keno Flo's, I like the Diva light least. I prefer the 2ft 4bank Select Kenos because the bulbs can be turned on an off individually. While the Diva light can be dimmed, the color temp change is a problem, and even at full intensity, the color temp is almost always slightly magenta on those particular bulbs.

• Premium Member

and another thing- Divas were designed for people who don't know how to use a C-Stand. The female recieving pin and arm combo on the mounting plate is horrific to work with compared to a standard Kino mounting plate and male pin system. You could just go with a standard Kino unit. Cheaper, right?

F

• Premium Member
I am looking to buy a flourescent fixture to have a nice soft,lite, daylight or tungsten balance. I don't like that the flolights have reflective barndoors now, and Lowell has always felt cheap to me so they are out.

I am leaning at getting a Diva light but I only see 2900k bulbs for it and have heard mixed reviews on it. Any thoughts?

Hi,

For Video use there are 3200 tubes that are fine, with film you will see the green spike.

Stephen

I have had a divelite 200 for about 3 or 4 years. Use it with tape and film. As stephen says the tungsten tubes have a green spike so I carry 1/4 to 1/2 minus green to correct for film and plus green for a dirty green florrie look. I tend to buy Osram tubes 930= 3000K 950=5400K. They are good adaptable small lights and have held up to the rigours of travelling around the globe. I strictly use them on projects when I don't have a gaffer as gaffers or sparks will usually tear the ballast off and impale them on a c-stand!

I use kinos and the Diva in particular fairly often, and I must say that the problems are a bit overstated to me. A bit of 1/8th minus green gel (magenta) balances the light just fine. I find the dimmer to be rather useless, but I do use the "Flozier" diffusion (aka the "diaper") which is a form of gridcloth that wraps the unit.

If you need something soft, punchy, light, easy to set up and doesn't take much space, check out the Litepanel 1x1. It's a one foot square panel of LEDs, available in a daylight flood or spot patern or a tungsten flood. The daylight flood is the most versatile in my book, and it comes with a gel pack, built in dimmer and connectors to power from AC power or a 12v battery. It's really a great light. I find myself sticking it window casements to emulate soft daylight (it's only 2" thick) or using it as a nightime fill on city street exteriors (it weighs ounces and doesn't heat up so it can be handheld by the gaffer). It's like strapping a bunch of the regular litepanel units together as one.

I am confused is the Diva the only one with a green spike? or is it the 2ft 4bank too? Another production company here in town has the original light panels and I think it is a kewl idea but it only has enough output be used as a close on camera light,eye light,or accent light IMHO. I know the new bigger one should be better but that is a heck of alot of money to have a small amount of light then it cuts down even more after you gel it for tungsten.

• Premium Member
I am confused is the Diva the only one with a green spike? or is it the 2ft 4bank too? Another production company here in town has the original light panels and I think it is a kewl idea but it only has enough output be used as a close on camera light,eye light,or accent light IMHO. I know the new bigger one should be better but that is a heck of alot of money to have a small amount of light then it cuts down even more after you gel it for tungsten.

Hi,

Only the 3200k (Diva) have the green spike. (the bulbs are not made by kinoflo)

Stephen

• Premium Member

Hi,

I just spent the last two days teaching a basic camera course on which we had the 210-watt Divas. They seemed fine, although the integrated ballast does make them heavyish, and they go bright pink when dimmed so the dimmer is largely unusable.

Phil

• Premium Member

I've a divalite with daylight fixtures and it's a useful light. If I use an hmi as a 3/4 rear key the diva's really nice through bleached muslin as a soft fill. Another nice thing about the diva is the ability to switch it down to 2 bulbs. This works a lot better than dimming the 4 bulbs and saves on a colour temp. change. I like the flexibility of the divalite and it can be further controlled with black wrap etc etc. It's more expensive than it's rivals but built better to me...

When I've had to hire additional divas invariably they're older units with older bulbs with a magenta spike - watch out!

Rupe Whiteman

Edited by rupe w