New Panasonic DVX-100A

Robert Wiegert

I just received my Panasonic and did a few 24p test with it and noticed that the recorded footage when played back seems really staggered but not as bad as seen through the view finder. I started with the F6 settings and tweaked them a little bit to match the suggested settings from DV Filmmaker so I don't think it's a setting problem so is there anything else I might have overlooked or is this just how it's recorded and can be fixed in post? Also I'd love to purchase a anamorphic lense adapter but am a little strapped for cash right now so has anyone used the "Squeeze" mode on the DVX100 and have you experienced any loss of resolution or detail? or should I shoot in 4:3 and change the aspect ratio in post?

Help would be appreciated!

Thanks

The pulldown in 24pa mode of the F6 setting also has a slightly different motion cadence than 24p normal due to it's intended purpose. I just finished shooting a short (www.RadioMechanics.com) and the footage looks killer. In the end, there should be no difference in motion on playback between it and telecine'd film.

My understanding of "squeezed" mode shooting vs shooting with the anamorphic adapter is that the difference between the two is only *really* apparent when the footage is blown up to 35mm for theatrical screening. At that point the anamorphic footage is slightly better looking -- perhaps much better looking. It is often said that the two cannot be told apart when the footage is encoded to 24p DVD and displayed on a monitor. If that is true, and DVD is your target format, you are better off with the additional lens options than the anamorphic adapter.

I use the DVX100a in "squeeze" mode with the additional wide angle lens, and would love to see a side-by-side comparison of my footage vs anamorphic footage on a TV monitor. It looks pretty good as it is.

I too was worried about the motion cadence (or staggering effect) I saw on 24p footage shot with the DVX100a, and thought this was going to be a real problem. However, following some advice on this forum, I shot tests using different shutter speeds, and encoded a 24p test DVD. I then watched this DVD with friends and asked them to choose the sequence on the DVD which looked "the best" to them. All unanimously chose the footage shot with a 1/48 shutter speed setting. To all of our eyes the footage looked no different -- motion-wise -- than any movie we had seen on DVD. It was also mercifully free of those dispiriting video artifacts like stair-stepping on diagonal lines and chunky pixels boiling in the shadows.

• Premium Member

Hi,

> It is often said that the two cannot be told apart when the footage is encoded to > 24p DVD and displayed on a monitor

I'd bet small amounts of money I could tell, assuming a reasonably competent DVD encode.

Phil