Bolex short.

justinbrown

Hi all,

This is a short that has made it to the last 12 of the Depict 90 second short film festival. The film is called Dermo Suchaesta (poop Happens), the 4th film in the list with a soldier standing beneath a sky.

http://depict.org/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Depic...ries?object=175

I shot 7222 on a old H16 Bolex from college. We had three lenses (150mm,25mm, and a 16mm). The film was not shot in order and shot over 2 days. The first being harsh sunlight and the second being overcast. I did my best to correct it in post but it was hard. Im not pleased with the dusk shot.

Would love some feedback, on both the cinematography and the Film.

And please vote kindly as there is a £2000 cash prize for the winner, and that money would buy a lot of stock i could test for up and coming projects.

Justin Brown.

Hi Justin,

I'm a lowly documentary producer with cinematic animations - aren't we all? Anyway I watched your film twice, first time as a punter would, just reading the story, as it were. And it worked for me - enough to post my thought on this forum - you managed to overcome the obvious difficulties of the shoot withoutcompromising the storyline. Loved the actor - he definitely knew what he was doing, and your use of audio worked. In a funny kind of way the light conditions over the 2 day shoot almost added to the wartime feel of the B&W. On 2nd (Critics hat) vewing, my only real beef would be in the detail. The soldier had beautifully polished boots, that kind of thing. Cutaways were a bit jerky, but didn't spoil the continuity of the story - well done mate and good luck

I actually really liked it, compared to the other movies in the competition it definately was up there maybe even number 1. It definately had the best story and the decision to shoot it in 16mm was much better than shooting it in digital. Were thos scratches on the film because of the bolex or because you added them?

take a look at my short film if you want

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...showtopic=17868

wow! very cool premise, and the shot selection was interesting. was the upshot a composite?

concerning the hard cut brightness/audio change in the field wide shot may indicate time passing... a dissolve could have worked there.

i agree about the polished boots comment, but the actor really pulled off a believable scenario! just goes to show that you shouldn't put all your rocks in one bag ;)

overall I loved it and voted accordingly. Good Luck!!

~J

Hey, yeah the Up shot was filmed on location but we had no polyboards and the end result meant that the sky blead around the character and was completley overexposed, and because our tests didnt come back, i couldnt test filters for skys. so we composited the shot using a movable still in post. The wierd thing is that i didnt feel that the actor did the script any justice on set, but it really works in the final cut. We are also cutting a 2 min version, and also a 30 second test Kit Kat advert, both of which i'll put on later.

Justin

• 1 year later...