Angry German Kid vs. Starcraft

Robert Price

Dont be an a**ho**, it's pretty funny. Is it citizen kane? No. But I LOLed.

My point is if he has not employed any practice of filmmaking, why is he asking expert opinions? The kid's reaction is humorous, sure, but he did not create that - nor did he discover it. He admits to be following some trend. Does the fact that he's intercut Starcraft make it funnier? Did any real work or effort go into this?

He is not asking "is this objectively funny," he is asking experts for their opinions, and in so doing is implying that they employ their expert knowledge. But how can they do that if he has not created the images and has only very loosely created the narrative, which is of negligible importance alongside the extreme performance of the child.

My point is if he has not employed any practice of filmmaking, why is he asking expert opinions? The kid's reaction is humorous, sure, but he did not create that - nor did he discover it. He admits to be following some trend. Does the fact that he's intercut Starcraft make it funnier? Did any real work or effort go into this?

Juxtaposition of images is a big part of filmmaking. Is an editor a hack because he didnt create the images?

I don't think the original poster is claiming that it is anything more than a funny internet video.

Juxtaposition of images is a big part of filmmaking. Is an editor a hack because he didnt create the images?

But he did not merely edit, he created the Starcraft narrative and purports himself to be the auteur of this piece. ("my version.")

The images were not juxtaposed for the purpose of contrast and comparison, or else the Starcraft bit would not have been of "negligible importance." With well-juxtaposed images, each image is of equal importance. The fact is people don't care what the heck is happening in the Starcraft scenes, because the only thing you pay attention to is the kid going berserk.

Yes I didn't film anything for this. All I did was add three sets of images together (Starcraft, the angry German kid, and the subtitles) in a creative/funny way. Part of film making is being a good video editor, not just a cameraman or a director.

If you wanna see some things that I actually filmed, look at my profile on YouTube (RobertDV). All of the Bite of Seattle interviews were filmed by me with my new prosumer video camera; the one thats "as big as my 20 pound cat."

It's like the 'Star Wars' kid all over again.

(And a lot of crap went down with that star wars kid... he sued his friends for about $250,000, underwent therapy and counselling, an Internet petition to get him into Star Wars Episode 3 received more than 178,000 digital signatures, and out of sympathy an internet fund raiser gave him an iPod and a $2600 gift certificate)

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith

I can see both perspectives.. But I like Price's better. And btw, which camera did you get?

I got the AG-DVC7 from panasonic. Its not the best, but its better than any camera I've ever used. And it was afforadable ($1,000).

Edited by Robert Price