Canon�s own brand DV tapes so expensive?

James Briggs

I would like to start using canon?s own tapes and stick to them. But I?ve researched everywhere and I can?t seem to find anything that really justifies the high pricing over other tapes. I know 80 minute tape is supposed to be thicker than 60 minute tape but that?s about it. Other than that it pretty much just seems all DV tapes are the same and it?s just best to stick to one brand for the sake of the camera?s health.

It comes across however that if you only plan on using a DV tape once and not repeated use? they?re all going to give the same output. No matter what camera you put them in. Only after repeated use problems can arise, but this is even unlikely it seems..

I have so far been using Sony premium tapes. If I always use fresh tapes is their no need to swap to Canons seemingly overpriced brand?

Just wondered if anyone knew that using the canon tapes with their XL2 will effect the picture quality in anyway whatsoever for the better. Or have I got everything correct from my research and might as-well stick with sony tapes.

Tapes are tapes. Esp. with a digital format, it really doesnt matter. I have used maxell (cheapest) tapes forever and have never had a problem (with old, multi-use tapes I start to, but thats an issue with any tape you use too often, if you can't afford a dropout every now and then, then use a fresh tape)

The issues with mixing brands I have heard several variations on the story. First I heard that the lubrication on the tapes can sometimes be incompatible and cause problems. Then I heard if you use many different tapes its fine, as long as you consistently use various brands, and only if you use say sony for 4 years, then switch to cannon will you have a problem.

I don't know. I use the cheapest tapes possible, make sure to keep them within their suggested operating and storage range (tempature and humidity) and have never had a problem. I have always used the same tapes. My GL1 is 5 or 6 years old, and I still have not seen a single problem due to using the cheapest tapes. I had a casting session recently that I wanted taped, and didn't want to buy fresh stock. I pulled tapes that litterally are 4 years old and had more than 20 passes on them, and in 2 1/2 hours of recording, I didn't get one tape hit (on cheap maxell tapes)

Past tape hits though, there would be absolutley no picture difference between tape brands (beauty part of digital recording. Its either there or its not.)

• 1 month later...
Just wondered if anyone knew that using the canon tapes with their XL2 will effect the picture quality in anyway whatsoever for the better. Or have I got everything correct from my research and might as-well stick with sony tapes.

No, it will not have any affect on picture quality. Tape is not like film, film having different image qualities from film type to film type. Like was said eariler, tape is tape, insofar as picture quality is concerned. All the tape--any tape--is recording is 0s and 1s.

Some tapes are more dependable than others, some are more robust than others. Canon does not manufacturer tape. It simply buys ship loads of tape from someone else that makes tape and slaps their name on it.

For best results and reliability, stick with what you're using. If you go switching tape brands you run the risk of gumming up your recording heads. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"