Wittner 100D is incorrectly notched

Steve Molloy

Just a warning for those with cameras which accept film speeds right across the board. I obtained two more carts of Wittnerchrome 100D, the best film I have ever used to date.

Its notching is slightly incorrect, apparently registering 64D/100T on a camera with all of the notch settings.

There are two solutions to this:

- Setting the filter switch/key to artificial light and expose at 100T in daylight (same speed)

- Using a stanley knife to re-notch it (quite easilly done).

Both methods will allow the cinematographer to have 100D correctly exposed while on auto exposure.

Note, on most cameras which are 40/160 cameras only, despite being incorrectly notched, Wittnerchrome will usually (but not always) miss the 25D/40T button and register correctly as 100D.

This is a wonderful stock which I would be very pleased to see Kodak release for themselves in Super 8 so it can be widely available.

I hope this advice ensures that everyone exposes it correctly and thus realises this film's true potential.

you can verify the cart/speed notching here:

http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Super_8_Ca...dge_Notch_Ruler

a correctly notched 100D cartridge should have the same slot dimention at a 160T cartridge bu no notch for the daylight 86 fiter = automatically disabled and sets the cam speed to 100(D)

771px-Cartridgenotchruler.jpg

the vision 200T cartrige left is actually notched for 100D although it should have been 160T/100D by using the built in 85 filter.

notch3.jpg

notchlever.jpg

Edited by S8 Booster

• Premium Member
Just a warning for those with cameras which accept film speeds right across the board. I obtained two more carts of Wittnerchrome 100D, the best film I have ever used to date.

How is Wittner's quality control on slitting and re-perforating the film (I assume they start with Kodak 5285)? Do you notice any excessive weave or jitter over Kodak manufactured stock?

How is Wittner's quality control on slitting and re-perforating the film (I assume they start with Kodak 5285)? Do you notice any excessive weave or jitter over Kodak manufactured stock?

As I recall I remember reading somewhere it is Kodak slit and perfed. The company special ordered a large amount of it in either 400 or 1000 foot core loads. I think only Super 8 Sound/ Pro8 actually does slitting and reperfing, using the same equipment they used to use for making super-8 fullcoat from 35mm.

As I recall I remember reading somewhere it is Kodak slit and perfed. The company special ordered a large amount of it in either 400 or 1000 foot core loads. I think only Super 8 Sound/ Pro8 actually does slitting and reperfing, using the same equipment they used to use for making super-8 fullcoat from 35mm.

Hopefully that is a sign that Kodak will soon be packaging their 100D reversal stock in the near future. I wish Kodak would have made that choice to begin with instead of releasing 64T. I honestly see no advantage to using the 64T stock, and it's certainly not a good replacement for Kodachrome. The Wittnerchrome 100D is wonderful stuff.

Hopefully that is a sign that Kodak will soon be packaging their 100D reversal stock in the near future. I wish Kodak would have made that choice to begin with instead of releasing 64T. I honestly see no advantage to using the 64T stock, and it's certainly not a good replacement for Kodachrome. The Wittnerchrome 100D is wonderful stuff.

I sent Kodak a letter not too long ago about the suppuriority of 100D over 64T in S8... but the response was that there is no current market demand to add or switch anything in S8. Obviosly the desires of most any S8 user is not finding it's voice at kodak... at least for higher resolve stocks than what is currently available. 100D blows the pants off of 64T and K40. I guess the higher speed/more grain rule influenced the choice of 64T, which is obviosly not the case... 100D has 2-4 times the speed in daylight, and twice the resolve.