Digital SLR

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to get a Digital SLR for a long time now.

I'm very confident with my Still Camera, a Minolta SRT 101 with 3lenses but i would like to go digital to save money and to step ahead to the future.

I'm a fan of the Nikon look cause i've tried the D70 of my friend.

I was thinking to get a Nikon D70 but they just released a D80 :o

The new D80 have bigger definition 10Millions pixels but it also have many bullshit mode as Slide show...

I check out the web and i've found that Panasonic released a DMC L1 that is 7,5Millions pixels with a 14/50mm Leica Lens. This camera seems to approached differently the digital world.

I've to be honest but i'm lost !

I love the Nikon digital look but i also love the Panasonic video look (DVX100, HVX200, Varicam) ! I love that they collaborate with Leica for the lenses.

What sould i do ?

Do i have to afford such money to get a Digital SLR camera and in that case wich one or do i just need to by a small compact digital camera and to keep my old Minolta ?

If any one have an idea or already got in hand the Panasonic, let me now.

Thanks in advance.

My friend who writes reviews for several magazines in Poland told me about nice, cheap dslr. Pentax K100d, it's under 1k USD, and offers really nice value for the money, takes old pentax lenses (?bayonet K) maybe you would be able to find converter for your minolta lenses. Better check the base length for every system.

If you like your gear I wouldn't get rid of it, you won't get more than couple of bucks, so it's evidently not worth it. My nikon f4 which I learned to hate(the weight of the setup makes you want to stay at home instead of going out and take pictures)I don't want to sell it I wouldn't get more than a fraction of original price.

Yeah it may or may not help you, but I got a Pentax istDL last month and it takes wonderful pics. Also recently discovered in a thread here that it directly translates to film... so now I can do all of my exposure practicing with my light meter with the Pentax! Unfortunately, its not as resillient as my K1000, and it stopped working so I had to send it in.