The Illusionist

What are everyone's thoughts on the Illusionist? I saw it last night and thought it was an amazing looking film. I really enjoyed the lighting. If there were any comments I had it was a few focus/depth of field things I saw, but they were few and far between.

Of course I'm pretty new to this, so I could be trying too hard to look with a critical eye when I really don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

• Premium Member
What are everyone's thoughts on the Illusionist? I saw it last night and thought it was an amazing looking film. I really enjoyed the lighting. If there were any comments I had it was a few focus/depth of field things I saw, but they were few and far between.

Of course I'm pretty new to this, so I could be trying too hard to look with a critical eye when I really don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

With a name like that you must be some kind of genious.

• 2 weeks later...

I got to see an advanced screening for Aussies a couple weeks ago. I wasn't looking with too critical an eye at the cinematography. I enjoyed the story, though. Except that I have a couple of questions that the film raised yet didn't seem to provide answers for. But on the whole, I liked the look and feel of it quite a lot.

• Premium Member

In another thread I called this the best film I had seen yet this year, and I think that still stands for me. Like the film 'Sideways' which was from the same producers, the Illusionist is near pitch perfect across the board; Cinematography, Writing, Directing, Acting, Music.

The look of the film was just gorgeous, Dick Pope going for a look that emulates an old cinema process called autochrome (which I know next to nothing about so I'll just post a wikipedia link here );)

There's a great article about it in the September 2006 AC.

• 2 weeks later...
Dick Pope going for a look that emulates an old cinema process called autochrome (which I know next to nothing about so I'll just post a wikipedia link here );)

There's a great article about it in the September 2006 AC.

I read that article, and it really got me interested. Like I said above I don't know a lot yet; but reading articles like that and a lot of the postings here are kind of my "immersive language program" in cinematography. When you start realizing how much you don't know it's pretty humbling.