THE NEW 8MM WAVE!

Michael Ryan

Hello Mark,

Is there anything you can tell us about the film? What kind of camera are you shooting with? What's it about? Anywhere that we can see it?

Mike

It's inspired by the russian film "Man with a Movie Camera". So i've spent the summer running around my home city like a lunatic filming anything that moves! I've got one more reel to shoot and then I will start editing which i think will take about six months. So i'm hoping it will be finished by late spring next year.

I've always shot on Super 8 / 16mm before and just wanted to try something on Standard 8 as a bit of a change and a bit of fun. I don't know anything about ratio's and complicated equations all i can tell you is that the results i have been getting have blown me away. Like a lot of people i always thought Standard 8 was a bit of a joke used by old timers but i'm now totally hooked! I'm not a size queen, the most important thing to me is what it looks like not how big it is!

I used a Bolex P3 & P1 and H8. P3 is definately my favorite, focussing is so easy and accurate. The images are rock steady and with the H8 you end up with 16 minutes (200ft) of film from one reel so it's a lot more economical than any other format. I'm even toying with the idea of having the magazine mount fitted by Bolex which they can do for about £200 which will enable me to use 400ft reels of film which is about an hour (800ft) of finished film.

A lot ot the accesories are interchangable between the H8 & H16 so for instance i can use the same motor on both and take really long shots. Can also sound sync as well with the crystal motor. But haven't tried that yet.

Also i find the cameras are better made with few electronics. Every Super 8 camera i've had has let me down as the electronics start to fade after 30+ years.There are also totally manual as well, giving me more control.

Edited by markb

Guest Ian Marks

I too thought regular eight was dead, but a few weeks ago I stopped into Spectra Film and Video and was shown some recently transferred film that was shot for a music video - on *regular* 8. I forget who the musical artist was - Bob Dylan? - but the footage showed Scarlett Johansson (seriously) in a languorous pose on a couch. The cinematographer was apparently going for a dreamy, nostalgic quality - the shot was very nice overall.

...Now the standard 8 frame is 4.37mm and if we divide 359 by that(359/4.37),...

These calculations do not agree with actual results. In practice the best regular-8 and best super-8 are quite close in quality. In simplified terms, the 22% wider super-8 frame can be projected 22% wider on the screen for the same sharpness using the same film type. No factor of 2 in there anywhere. Regular 8 can often look better.

Hello All,

Clive makes an interesting point about the difference in quality between Super-8 and regular 8.

It would be very interesting to see some results of some regular 8 100D. 100D is a much better film than what was around for regular 8 shooters in the '50s and '60s.

Does anyone have any experience shooting 100D in regular 8 or is able to post some footage?

Thanks,

Mike

If the reg-8 is good because you thread the film and all controls are manual, why not use then DS8? You still use the larger frame area and cameras are totally manual. I have a russian Quartz DS8 reflex and it's great, all manual, the photometer is selenium and powered by light, so, absolutely no batteries. The complete kit includes the film splitter . I shot a short with foma (available new from www.jandcphoto.com) and svema DS8. If you're interested you can have a look:

http://jcsmr.anu.edu.au/~rleao/TMWTTR.avi

The telecine is crap though as I used one of those transfer boxes. But the film is far more stable than normal s8 and it's much cheaper too, a 10m roll of DS8 is equal to 20m of s8 (if you use a change bag to load the film) and the foma costs ~8USD at jandc. And color is also available from http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/katalog/...mm/d8_filmm.php

Cheers.

Richard

Hello All,

Clive makes an interesting point about the difference in quality between Super-8 and regular 8.

It would be very interesting to see some results of some regular 8 100D. 100D is a much better film than what was around for regular 8 shooters in the '50s and '60s.

Does anyone have any experience shooting 100D in regular 8 or is able to post some footage?

Thanks,

Mike

If the reg-8 is good because you thread the film and all controls are manual, why not use then DS8? You still use the larger frame area and cameras are totally manual. I have a russian Quartz DS8 reflex and it's great, all manual, the photometer is selenium and powered by light, so, absolutely no batteries. The complete kit includes the film splitter . I shot a short with foma (available new from www.jandcphoto.com) and svema DS8. If you're interested you can have a look:

http://jcsmr.anu.edu.au/~rleao/TMWTTR.avi

The telecine is crap though as I used one of those transfer boxes. But the film is far more stable than normal s8 and it's much cheaper too, a 10m roll of DS8 is equal to 20m of s8 (if you use a change bag to load the film) and the foma costs ~8USD at jandc. And color is also available from http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/katalog/...mm/d8_filmm.php

Cheers.

Richard

DS8 is a very good format but there is a very limited choice of film stocks and you can't reporforate existing 16mm like you can with Standard8.

Sorry to butt in, but can anyone tell me how drastic the quality difference is between Regular 8 and Super 8.

not too drastic,

frame sizes

reg8

4,8mm x 3,5mm

s8 25% wider

Concerning ds8 film stocks, it's correct you can't get it from 16mm but wittner has a variety of color and BW film.

Slightly off topic -

if you live in the UK there's a chance to see some Standard 8 footage in a TV programme.

On BBC2 @ 7:30pm on Thursday is the last in the series called "The Trees that made Britain" - (actually it's more interesting than it sounds!).

One of the guys in the programme goes around with his Bolex P4 and they use some of the shots in the programme.

Edited by markb