The Village

LOL, Ingmar. Got to love that Bill O'Reilly. He's like John Wayne, if John Wayne were a psychotic right-wing hawk and repressed homosexual. Well, one out of two ain't bad.

Back on the topic, I hadn't realized that The Village had earned so much. I think it deserves to, although the film did have very recognizable plot-holes.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, Ingmar. Got to love that Bill O'Reilly. He's like John Wayne, if John Wayne were a psychotic right-wing hawk and repressed homosexual. Well, one out of two ain't bad.

My wife and I were sharing the newspaper in bed on thursday evening and we decided to watch this O'Reilly guy. This is a level of discourse not displayed by a respectable journalist. Of course, he is not a journalist. He is a commentator. Nevertheless, I think he drank the Kool-Aid. B)

I like you, Pvt. Xuefei24p. You can come over to my house and F*** my sister.

Funny. But let's not get off the topic, guys.

I thought The Village was a major letdown in terms of the actual story, but I haven't seen cinematography this mature for some time. Greatly shot, but that script was just horrible. I imagine that his name, more than anything else, was what jacked up the Box Office. I don't regret seeing the film, however.

Funny. But let's not get off the topic, guys.

So your... how do you lefties say... "hateful, mean-spirited" insults at significant sectors of the population ARE on topic?

And calling the script horrible is kinda silly, don't you think?

I thought it was pretty damn good, and apparently, there are a few hundred thousand people who agree with me. Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot, they're not college professors or snobby intellectuals, so they don't count.

Perhaps you'd like to paste in a page or two of your own masterpiece(s) so we can see your qualifications to make that statement?

MP

thats one thing i hate about film making, left wing nuts.

fu** You, Bitch.

A Republican hasn't balanced the budget in over 20 years. They discriminate against homosexuals and unwed mothers, fight teachers and line their pockets.

We know that Bush is going to get re-elected, because the democrats haven't a clue, and the Republicans have used our own victims of terrorism to strip our civil liberties and slowly instill a new structuring of forigen policy that will further polarize our people from the rest of the world, and cut any and all ties we hold to the U.N.

Bush is a warmonger, and, were the houses of government anything more than a mockery, his actions would have been overwhelmingly rejected and, for certain, he would face censure.

You need to pull your heads out of your asses and understand that the republican system is nothing more than bullshit. Society is best served by methods of taxation and social policy that come from a leftist government. It is only fair that the more one makes, the more they should pay. Of course, like any sensible thinker, I am opposed to all forms and communism, and wish that that pig castro would die so that we can get some good cigars in this couintry again. Anyway,

Bush, not unlike Kissinger, is a war criminal.

Eddie, I really don't dislike you personally, you're probably a decent guy, but I just can't help myself from chiming in sometimes, because the hypocrisy of the left in general (and you specifically) is, that they get a free ride, in enjoying being seen as "the ones who love, not hate, like those evil conservatives", and yet almost every post you make on any topic, you're either saying "F*** you", or wishing death on anyone who disagrees with you, on even the smallest point, (like not liking the same kind of films you like), calling other human beings "pigs", etc.

I know (and are related to) lots of conservatives AND liberals, and it seems that I hear these kinds of statements almost exclusively from liberals.

Of course, you see yourself as being "correct" so that gives you a license to hate, slander and wish death on everyone, and THAT my friend, is what scares people like me.

The left are the new fascists.

Also, apparently most democrats don't know how to do simple math, because even at a FLAT TAX RATE, people who make more, are taxed more.

In fact, a flat tax would be the only fair tax system, since you would pay exactly greater actual dollar amounts as you made more than others.

I.E:

If we had say, a 10% tax rate for EVERYONE, and if you make 10X what I do, you pay 10X what I do.

Isn't that fair? Make ten times more, taxed ten times more.

Yet I just get weary over how much I hear that the RATE has to be higher, or rich people are "not paying their fair share", which is absurd and ignorant, and I would be embarrassed to make these kinds of statements, because it shows you have fallen for simple-minded propaganda that would make Hitler proud.

It's also regressive, because as inflation kicks in, the poor and middle class inch up into the formerly "rich" tax rate, and THAT is why I never vote for tax increases, because middle-classers like me, are now paying the rates that in the 60's & 70's, were justified as being "rich" rates.

If you made $50K a year in 1968 you were really rolling in the cash, and everyone was in favor of high tax rates for those "rich" people.

Now, $50K is considered middle class, but we're paying the higher rates of the "formerly rich".

The same thing is going to happen in the future, because the benchmark of "rich" is constantly changing.

There's no end to it, because it's an issue the Democrats can use to reel in anyone who has even slight class envy. It's not based on anything but that.

The Republicans do the same thing on issues like abortion; just figure out if there are sufficient numbers of voters that believe in something, and pass laws so you get their votes.

And hearing this stuff from people like Kerry (worth $550 million), Feinstien (worth $86 million) and Boxer (worth $25 million), is just ludicrous, because Bush is right about this one:

The truly rich hire lawyers and accountants to get out of paying "their fair share", and us middle class get stuck with the bill every time.

They can grandstand on these issues, because they know they're NEVER going to be touched by tax hikes.

They find ways around them, and some of them actually write exemptions into the tax code, naming individuals as not having to pay taxes over certain amounts!!! (this has happened, kids!).

OK, so much for my math lessons.

Homework will be due tomorrow.

Matt Pacini

• Premium Member

Being politically to the left of center, I don't particularly like being labelled a "fascist" especially not on a cinematography site. Sure it is possible to defend one's beliefs without countering one gross and unfair generalization with one of your own!

I'm not a conservative because I believe in the following:

A high separation between church and state.

That the major purpose of government, besides national defense, is to help those who fall out of the system and can't help themselves. The notion that "in the good old days" that communities and churches did this function is romantic nonsense. Conservatives spend the majority of their political clout to improve the lives of people who need the least amount of help, i.e. the rich and powerful. Has Bush even addressed the fact that another million Americans have slid into poverty lately?

That government should be concerned with long-term management of things like the environment and even scientific development because corporations think in terms of quarterly reports, not over decades. (Unfortunately, too often politicians only think as far as the next election.) With plenty of evidence to the contrary, I get tired of the right constantly suggesting that government isn't good for much of anything other than having a military.

I don't believe in the policy of pre-emptive wars. It's not so far removed from "Minority Report" and arresting people for crimes they didn't commit.

I believe that a woman has the right to choose whether or not to have an abortion. Otherwise, women will never have equal rights compared to men if the moment they become pregnant, part of their rights shifts over to a fetus.

I believe that corporations are neither evil nor good, but amoral. Therefore it's up to a body that represents the public good (i.e. a representative government) to regulate them -- especially when it concerns things that affect the public good (i.e. the environment.)

I believe in gun control for what should be obvious reasons.

Anyway, those are a few of the reasons why I can't support the Republicans.

• Premium Member

I think that is the most clear, well stated ideology that I have heard in a long time. And I agree with you on almost all of your points (being raised in Texas, I just can't get myself behind gun control).

And since we're off topic anyway, David, how are you enjoying Austin? I almost went to the Dot casting call but 1) I'm lazy and 2) I don't need anything interefering with my day schedule because of classes. And if you haven't, you should check out the Dobie theatre (I saw a movie there for the first time last night). Its small screens, in small rooms with themes ... its an awesome little theatre, I fell in love with it immediately (Richard Linklater showed Slacker there and Dazed and Confused ran for a full year).

• Premium Member

As I get older, I realize that labels and divisions, although useful, can be a shortcut to thinking, if not a substitution. It doesn't help that the media likes to divide everyone into neat categories like "the left" and "the right". And suddenly everyone has to take sides. No wonder this country is so split down the middle politically.

For example, while I support spending for social programs a lot more enthusiatically than I do for military spending (and I come from a Navy family), I also believe that governments have to be fiscally responsible. Therefore, I think a combination of spending cuts and tax hikes would be the most practical method of dealing with California's financial problems. Years ago, Pete Wilson dealt with a similar budget crisis in that fashion and the problem was solved within two years. But the Democrats won't budge on spending cuts and the Republicans won't budge on tax increases. So our governor's solution was a massive bond measure -- i.e. to borrow our way out of debt. It would be like me taking out a second mortgage to pay off my credit card debts.

So I can't understand the idea of making permanent the biggest tax cut in history when we are running record deficits. It's not a left vs. right issue. We need to behave financially responsible and stop spending more than we take in. Moderate tax cuts would make sense in prosperous times but not now. But you can't even discuss rolling back some of these tax cuts without being accused of being a "tax and spend liberal." It's like the Republicans like to TALK about a smaller federal government and pass out tax cuts when they are in office, yet they also tend to INCREASE government spending while they are in office. So they won't pay for what they spend and leave it to a Democrat like Clinton (working with a Republican congress) to actually pay down the debt and balance the budget.

But because everyone has to take sides, we can't have a rational discussion on the issue. It's the whole simplistic "you're either with us or against us" way of thinking that has led to so much trouble. What's really odd was the ANGER expressed at the Republican Convention -- I mean, these guys control the White House, Congress, and the Supreme Court, yet they act like they upset with the way the country is being run!

• Premium Member

I like Austin -- I wouldn't mind living here... except for the summer heat. Los Angeles isn't great in that regards either but at least I get to live in the Westside. But I like living in Los Angeles too; I think it's a lousy place to visit but a great place to live once you get to know where everything is.

• Premium Member

Hi,

I'm just starting to learn LA, at least a bit, having spent three periods there just to learn the town. I'm beginning to understand the car issue. I mean, I tried to walk from Bill Totolo's to Culver City - and I made it, but then I discovered the problem with a centreless city - there's nowhere to sit down and chill out. So I wandered around in front of that stunning thirties studio complex (What is it? What's it called? Who works there?) until my feet stopped emitting sparks, and continued on to Hollywood.

Now I know not to try to do this.

Phil

• Premium Member

I'll keep my personal opinions to myself this time, but I'm posting a few quotes from George Washington's Farewell Address. I think they are still very relevant today. Remember, these are his words, not mine, so please keep the flaming aimed at me to a minimum.

Thank you.

Warns against the party system. "It serves to distract the Public Councils, and enfeeble the Public Administration....agitates the Community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms; kindles the animosity of one....against another....it opens the door to foreign influence and corruption...thus the policy and the will of one country are subjected to the policy and will of another."

On stable public credit. "...cherish public credit. One method of preserving it is to use it as sparingly as possible...avoiding likewise the accumulation of debt....it is essential that you...bear in mind, that towards the payments of debts there must be Revenue, that to have Revenue there must be taxes; that no taxes can be devised, which are not...inconvenient and unpleasant..."

Warns against permanent foreign alliances. "It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world..."

On an over-powerful military establishment. "...avoid the necessity of those overgrown military establishments, which, under any form of government, are inauspicious to liberty, and which are to be regarded as particularly hostile to Republican Liberty."

David, it's unfortunate if the positions you espouse would cause you to be be categorized as left of center, because for much of the 20th century, those positions would have been considered centrist, or merely "American." It's only within the last 20 or so years that the US has been hit with the con game known as deregulation, that the equal rights and feminist movements (which had evolved in fits and starts over 70 years) have been under siege (including ever-increasing attacks on Roe v. Wade), that creationism and government-sanctioned religious activity have been creeping back into our public schools, and that the disparity between top-level executive compensation and rank-and-file pay has grown to such obscene levels.

The only issue you mentioned that isn't strictly political is abortion rights -- it's more a religious/moral and feminist issue. Let me explain: Catholics and fundamentalist Protestants seem to oppose abortion rights more than other groups, yet some of those antiabortion Catholics are among the most left-leaning people I know. They subscribe to a principle known as "seamless garment" -- respect for all human life (and, one would hope, all life in general). This means no abortion, but also no capital punishment, either. Likewise, you'll find pro-choice supporters among the most conservative women Republicans.