frezzi

Lee Young

I just bought a Frezzolin lw-16 camera for $400. I was told it is in working condition. I can't find a manual anywhere. I need any and all information anyone has on this camera. I would really like to know If I am able to get a lens that is not the 12-120mm. I would really like to put a 10mm lens on it. Is there an adapter for standard C mount? I need to know everything from opening the camera and magazines to if it uses 1R film. Where can I get batteries and a power cord (I've heard you can get them from frezzi's website). Thank you in advance.

caml.jpg

This camera is similar to the CP16, the zoom with the dog leg V/F fits into a C mount cup. If you remove the cup there's C mount, however, you won't have a viewfinder since the camera is designed to be used as a news camera using a zoom lens with a built in viewfinder. You'll need to check the V/F to ensure that the frame edges are vertical, since the slightest knock throws them off. The camera would've used 1R mag strip stock when it was originally shooting news.

The magazines are 16mm Mitchell type and quite a few cameras use them, including the CP16.

I just bought a Frezzolin lw-16 camera for $400. I was told it is in working condition. I can't find a manual anywhere. I need any and all information anyone has on this camera. I would really like to know If I am able to get a lens that is not the 12-120mm. I would really like to put a 10mm lens on it. Is there an adapter for standard C mount? I need to know everything from opening the camera and magazines to if it uses 1R film. Where can I get batteries and a power cord (I've heard you can get them from frezzi's website). Thank you in advance.

caml.jpg

The Frezzi LW16 is a sound on film camera designed for the newsfilm days when news stories were shot on film.It's a non reflex camera,I think the lens you have is a C mount you could probably put a prime lens on it,but how would you view through it?The 12 to 120 Angenieux has a dogleg veiwfinder.

As far as opening the mags,the side facing us in the picture is where they open by unscrewing them off,like a jar lid.The side door opens up with a latch.Threading is identical to an Auricon (same movement) or CP 16.You can look up these cameras in the American Cinematographer Manual and there you will find a threading diagram.

Since it was designed as an SOF camera,it takes 1R film, but I see no reason why 2R film couldn't run through it with no problem.

Guest Ian Marks

If your Angenieux zoom with built-in finder is seated properly and the viewfinder mask is set just right, you're probably better off leaving it on the camera and living with its limitations. Unlike a bayonet-mount camera, changing lenses on this camera is a chore, and probably not worth the effort to go from a 12mm at the wide end to a 10mm with no reflex viewing. Another alternative would be some kind of supplemental wide angle lens (such as those made by Century), but as the Angenieux lacks a macro function your options in this area are probably limited.

Another alternative would be some kind of supplemental wide angle lens (such as those made by Century), but as the Angenieux lacks a macro function your options in this area are probably limited.

The 0.7x attachment for the 10-100 & 12-120 Kinor zooms ought to work.

Though I doubt it has a 72mm thread. Finding an adaptor ring would be the rub.

Angie made one for their 10-150 & 16-44, but the Russian would be easier to find.

Either would make the camera a bit front heavy.

Edited by Leo Anthony Vale

Hi,

I have one of these cameras and I have to say I like the soft and glovy image that the 12-120 Angenieux produces (kind of a one trick pony though...). Camera runs on 12V DC. I run mine with a 12V/7mAh lead acid battery that I got from local electronic supply store. Battery is connected to camera with regular XLR with standard pinout (at least the one I have).

Camera has 173° shutter angle.

You can get the manual from Frezzi, I once asked and was quoted $35 US.

Cheers,

Henri

If your Angenieux zoom with built-in finder is seated properly and the viewfinder mask is set just right, you're probably better off leaving it on the camera and living with its limitations. Unlike a bayonet-mount camera, changing lenses on this camera is a chore, and probably not worth the effort to go from a 12mm at the wide end to a 10mm with no reflex viewing. Another alternative would be some kind of supplemental wide angle lens (such as those made by Century), but as the Angenieux lacks a macro function your options in this area are probably limited.

what I was planning on doing was buying another zoom reflex lens that goes down to 10mm, if it exist. I would not actually use it to shoot, but as a reference. I would then place my nicer 10mm set lens for the actual shooting. Does anybody know if there is such a lens (zoom reflex)? I am very certain that I will need a nice, sharp wide-angle lens for a lot of shooting. This seems to be the only option unless I attatched some kind of viewfinder to the side of the camera, which doesn't seem like that great of an idea.

There is two other Angenieux lenses with the side finder. The 9.5-57 and 9.5-95.

I've read that the 9.5-57 is actually a descent lens. Does anybody have one. If you do, are you willing to sell it? Anybody use one before?

Hi Lee Young,

The 9.5-57mm Angenieux was a very nice and if I remember right a relatively fast lens (F 1.6...?) Not too many were availble with side finders (V/F), but they were made. The finder on your 12-120 is refered to as a short finder and it is what you would find on the 9.5-57. And as you asked for any info, the v/f framing mask can be adjusted on any of the Angenieux side finders by loosening the three set crews on the grooved barrel on the finder and rotating the part. This allows you to reposition the finder to suit your tastes.

Chuck Colburn

Guest Ian Marks

Leo Vale mentioned the .7x converter made for the Russian 10-100mm. I have one of these and it is a big, beautiful hunk of glass, but I've never been able to put it on one of my lenses because the thread is an odd size... something like 75mm. The thread on your Angenieux is 72mm. You'd think there would be a 72-75mm step-up ring available, but I've never been able to find one, and I'm not so eager to try out this set-up that I'd pay to have one machined. The adapter is also heavy, a lot of weight to hang off a French zoom and really a lot to hang off a French zoom with a C-mount. The Russian zoom is big and, well, Russian, made to support the adapter. I thought one day I'd find the Russian lens converted to Arri or Eclair mount, but that hasn't happened. If it does, I have the W.A. adapter all ready.

If you need only a few shots with a really wide angle, you might pick up a cheap non-reflex Filmo or Bolex or Kodak K100 for those shots alone. Because they have no mirror or prism behind the lens, you can fit them with just about anything with a C mount - even a "TV" lens like the 9mm Fujinon. Depth of field is so great that you can "zone" focus (guesstimate) with no problem.

Picking up one of the two lenses with built-in finders which gets as wide as you'd like (the 9.5 to 95mm or the 9.5 to 57mm) might be a challenge and not cheap. The first is a big lens with a big front element (takes 4.5 inch filters vs. your Angie's Series 9's) and has a not-so-great reputation, and the second, if equipped with a finder, is scarce. I've seen only one. I have one of these without the finder, and it's a great lens - fast maximum aperture, close minimum focus, compact and sharp (but not good for Super 16). It you get one you'll need the Angenieux step-up ring to use Series 9 filters - the lens has a 60mm front thread and that's another odd size.