16mm GSMO

chris kempinski

It's funny, I just bought a 16mm CP GSMO. I have run a few hundred

feet through it and think it's a great little camera, so far. Though, when

I tell some of the cinematographers I work with about my camera I seem

to get a smirk and/or a roll of the eyes.

Does any one have any advice on what to look out for, or any quirks that this

camera may have? Before I go investing in upgrading it I would like to hear

some opinions. One thing to note is that I do have the new modified

board that used to be so troublesome.

Thanks

Chris

I guess it's an OK camera after all. I am shooting a music video and

a musical in the coming months and will keep things posted on how

it works out.

I think I am going to use a 50D and 100T and shoot 235 although I

am 4:3 right now.

Cheers and Happy shooting to you all.

Chris

Oh and if anyone knows where I can get a cheap eyepiece

video assist and could let me know a website or something.......

Guest Ian Marks

There just isn't a lot of material out there covering the GSMO, although somewhere at home I have an American Cinematographer handbook - or whatever it's called - which covers operation. I believe AZ Spectrum sells a video tap that fits between the GSMO body and the finder. I always thought the GSMO was an interesting camera that happened to hit the market at the wrong time.

I think you are very right on all accounts. My copy of the American Cinematographer's handbook has only the very basics on it, and finding info or upgrades seems harder to find than most. I heard that it was just thrown together by CP to answer the SR.

So far so good for me though. I like it, it's quiet, easy to load, light, and a pretty steady picture.

Thanks for the reply!!

• 1 month later...

The CP-GSMO is a very fine camera, here in Europe the "baby cp" has a very good reputation and it runs and runs without any problems and it does it silently... Over the time the camera runs even quieter, it goes well below 28dbA which is very good.

Enjoy your GSMO and if something should go wrong over the time, there's Ian Love, the ex-chief technician of Cinema Products Corp. to fix it easily.

Cheers...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest david west
GSMO%20Package.jpg

...It is a nice looking system. Strange that parts are not available. I like the compactness of this camera compared to the tank-like architecture of the CP16R...

Steve

which parts did you need?

• Premium Member
which parts did you need?

..the ones that wear out - when they wear out. I don't own the camera, I'm researching 16mm sound sync cameras in the sub 10K range. There are some, like the Aaton LTR series, that I'm not considering because parts are not available if something goes wrong. I am under the impression that the Cinema Products 16mm reflex CP16 is a very basic, well-built camera that can be worked on easily and parts are readily available if something wears out. I don't know much about the GSMO and would like to learn more about it.

Steve

I will pass on any info that I can. As for now I am looking

for extra mags, perhaps 2, and a decent video assist without spending

all the cash. I am probably going to put it all on hold until I can make a

bit of money with the camera.

If I can make money with it.

A lot of the shows I am working on start talking film and end up shooting

HD or DV. Going blue in the face and stomping my feet shouting "HD is the

new Beta" only gets me blank stares in return. Then we shoot HD.

For now my GISMO is just a wicked little toy.

HD is the new Beta.

Guest david west

other than the circuit boards,

are there any gsmo owners that are looking for parts?

i just purchased a gsmo, but i have the capabilities to make parts if i need to...

i would much rather make a few of whatever wears out before it is worn out if that makes any sense...

any tips on problem parts that owners have tried to look for?

-------------------------------------

on another subject.... you said that you were looking for a cheap video assist?????

has anyone tried to make a homemade video assist since the new micro camera revolution has occured?

I own a GSMO and like it a lot but I havent figured out how to deal with the issue of syncing to sound. Specifically, you can't plug a Tobin into it, so you cant slow it down to 23.975 and I end up slowing the audio down to match the tape transfer. I am missing something here? thanks

• 10 months later...
Guest david west
I own a GSMO and like it a lot but I havent figured out how to deal with the issue of syncing to sound. Specifically, you can't plug a Tobin into it, so you cant slow it down to 23.975 and I end up slowing the audio down to match the tape transfer. I am missing something here? thanks

Clive Tobin visits here on occasion, perhaps he has a work around so that his controllers could be used with this..... i have the tobin videoframe and would love to use it with my gsmo.... perhaps he has a pinout to hook it up....

• 14 years later...