green key question-thought I had it figured out but...

I had planned a shot in which it would look like a car was being driven with no one at the

wheel and I thought that I would dress the driver in a green body suit and then use Final

Cut Pro to pull out the green since I've done well using green screens. Then I realized that

it's not exactly the same. I'm not replacing the green with a particular landscape and I don't

see any feasible way to shoot the exact background plate of what you would see e.g. seatback,

inner door, door handle, etc. unless the shot is perfectly still and I want it moving. Anybody

know how to do this?

I had planned a shot in which it would look like a car was being driven with no one at the

wheel and I thought that I would dress the driver in a green body suit and then use Final

Cut Pro to pull out the green since I've done well using green screens. Then I realized that

it's not exactly the same. I'm not replacing the green with a particular landscape and I don't

see any feasible way to shoot the exact background plate of what you would see e.g. seatback,

inner door, door handle, etc. unless the shot is perfectly still and I want it moving. Anybody

know how to do this?

Dependinging on how many shots you are woking with and are they shot in car ? from outside ? is the camera locked off ?

Draw up the graph for y= 1/x then put $$$ on one of the axes and Time on the other ...

Motion Control/multiple pases/motion tracking/CGI

combinations of all or most of the above.

have fun! :)

know how to do this?

How about a guy hiding down in the foot space with a periscope? How precise does the driving need to be?

There is no easy way to do this with a moving camera, unless you're just replacing the background with trees or sky. Your case sounds trickier, since you need to replace the actor with the car interior. The most common method (and it's by no means easy) is going to involve you doing 3D tracking on the scene... if you have 3D tracking software. Then you'll need to create 3D models for the missing car elements that you want to put in the background. The more intricate your background, the harder this will become. This is pretty standard workflow, but it can be terribly complicated, time consuming, and expenive. Your best bet might be to re-plan the shot in a way where you can eliminate at least one of your obstacles (moving camera, complicated background...). Just my 2 cents.

• Premium Member
How about a guy hiding down in the foot space with a periscope? How precise does the driving need to be?

Or a small camcorder hidden out of camera view and the biggest monitor you can stuff into a place that a hidden driver can see.

It might help to pull the entire front seat out and construct a couple of photo ready dummy seatbacks and headrests to give the driver more floor room to operate in.

Back in my sportscar racing days I'd have taken this driving challenge on in a heartbeat. All real racers believe that there's a fastest man in anything on wheels, formula one, concrete truck ("Beverly Hills Cop"), Radio Flyer wagon, Plymouth Suburban, whatever - and that they're that fastest driver. Find a racer and you'll find a stunt driver willing to learn to do anything lying on the floor, watching a monitor stuffed somewhere, steering from underneath, and probably braking with his head. I know this for certain, I once crashed a couple of cars for the National Safety Council, got paid for it, and had a ball. :D

There is no easy way to do this with a moving camera, unless you're just replacing the background with trees or sky. Your case sounds trickier, since you need to replace the actor with the car interior. The most common method (and it's by no means easy) is going to involve you doing 3D tracking on the scene... if you have 3D tracking software. Then you'll need to create 3D models for the missing car elements that you want to put in the background. The more intricate your background, the harder this will become. This is pretty standard workflow, but it can be terribly complicated, time consuming, and expenive. Your best bet might be to re-plan the shot in a way where you can eliminate at least one of your obstacles (moving camera, complicated background...). Just my 2 cents.

This would be infinitely more difficult than just creating the whole car in 3D... or having a driver hidden out of sight.

This would be infinitely more difficult than just creating the whole car in 3D... or having a driver hidden out of sight.

You could tow the car and frame out the tow vehicle. If you're going to be close enough on a particular angle to see the steering wheel, you could have someone hide under the dash and operate it during the shot. Coverage could be shot from the invisible driver's POV to help sell it.

• Premium Member
You could tow the car and frame out the tow vehicle. If you're going to be close enough on a particular angle to see the steering wheel, you could have someone hide under the dash and operate it during the shot. Coverage could be shot from the invisible driver's POV to help sell it.

You could do it the same way they did "Toonces, the Driving Cat" on SNL. Maybe the low-tech would be seen as charming.