batteries ...

I will be shooting in very low temperatures , in the south of Argentina, with a 435 . I know the cold reduces the capacity or performance of batteries .. Do you have any suggestions? cover them with some thermo or isolate material ? or just use them normally? or what?

I don't know if there is much you can do once they are on the camera. Even if you do wrap them in some material, they will still pick up the cold from the camera body. When the batteries aren't in use though, keep them close to your body (or have your 2nd do this). Not in a jacket pocket, but in a layer closer to you where your body heat can keep them warm.

You can always call or e-mail Arri and ask for suggestions for what to do once the batteries are on-camera and in-use.

435 batteries are a bit too big and heavy to keep them in your pocket but you could wear a battery belt under your jacket.

Gas stations or car supply stores sell some sort of thermo material for wrapping car batteries when they are not used. You can use this stuff to wrap your batteries and it helps quite a lot. Make sure the batteries are stored in a warm place before you start shooting (don't leave them in the camera truck during nights) and take enough spare batteries with you.

Edited by Camillo Foramitti

I worked on a commercial on a ice ring, outside, in january, in the snow: all factors that added up to a damn cold day! We wanted to keep the batteries off the ice as much as possible so we constructed "jackets" for each battery from 5cm styro boards. It made them a bit chunky but was a good form of insulation.

Taking extra batteries, keeping batteries in warm place, and not leaving batteries over night in the truck are all good points.

Also try and get batteries that have newer cells inside, they will last longer.

Good luck and wrap up warm yourself!

james

One thing that has worked for me on all kinds of batteries in the cold are those hand warmers. Pack one sandwiched in between two batteries and it will do wonders. You will still need more batts than normal, but this will help to keep them from freezing. I shoot in temps between 0 and -25 on a regular basis and this definatley helps the situation. Make sure you don't keep them on your person if you do this. The battery should be able to withstand the temp, but if its damaged there is a chance the heat could cause it to leak. Nobody wants battery acid in their shells pocket!

• Premium Member

A lot of people use coolers for batteries in very cold environments. Stick them in the cooler and throw a few hand warmers in there and they should be fine. Just stick the cooler on your cart with your other cases.

• 2 weeks later...

I worked on a feature in Svalbard, winter during two months. Temperatures were between -5 and -35°C. We had this box, insulated on the inside, made for us. Inside we kept three NEW batteries, charged overnight at room-temperature within the open box, so they would generate their own warmth, we closed the box in the morning, and never had to use more than two batteries for a full day shooting.

535B.jpg

7 extra batteries and the heating system we took with us were never used..