First Time Camera assisting

Hey guys,

I'm going to be working as a 2nd camera assistant in a commercail, they want me to do the camera reports and the slateing, digital slateing. Its in China Beijing, funny thing is at first the director was going to be Toby Kaye(American History X), but they changed him.

They want me to find a professioanl camera report sheet online so we can print like 50 of them to use, do any of you know a website that provides that?

This is my first time working as a 2nd AC paid job, so if any one could give me some pointers in how to make this first job succese so they would like me, I would appriciate it Alot.

We are using the Arri LT and the FotoFonic.

And i never used the Digital Slates.(Pointers on that would be nice)

Thanks guys.

Hey guys,

I'm going to be working as a 2nd camera assistant in a commercail, they want me to do the camera reports and the slateing, digital slateing. Its in China Beijing, funny thing is at first the director was going to be Toby Kaye(American History X), but they changed him.

They want me to find a professioanl camera report sheet online so we can print like 50 of them to use, do any of you know a website that provides that?

This is my first time working as a 2nd AC paid job, so if any one could give me some pointers in how to make this first job succese so they would like me, I would appriciate it Alot.

We are using the Arri LT and the FotoFonic.

And i never used the Digital Slates.(Pointers on that would be nice)

Thanks guys.

I don't know of a place online to print them, perhaps someone else can help you there. You can usually get them at the lab you'll be working with, wouldn't hurt to try there first.

You will be doing a lot of paperwork, so be ready for that. Be organized! and anticipate the needs of the camera crew. Thats very valuable. The slate will need to be jammed every so often, but the sound guy is responsible for this. He'll take care of that for you. When you clap it, be sure to hold it still for about a beat or so to make sure that when the timecode stops, it isnt a bunch of blurry numbers. Don't hold it too long though. But you will need to make sure that these numbers will be static so it renders clear enough on the film to be legible.

my 2 cents

Allen Achterberg

Good Luck!

Hey guys,

Allen thanks alot for the pointers, David thanks for the offer for the reports. Well its still kinda getto here in beijing, soon Panavision and Technicolor are going to make their China branch in Beijing. I still need to find either if some on could scan them for me so i could print them out, or im sure somewhere online there must be a webiste that provides camera report samples.

But anywho, thanks alot guys.(Wish me luck)

Saba

www.colorlab.com has one to download. There are others I've seen across the web; explore google and there you can find some varieties. What you want, really, though, is a report with at least 2 two carbon copies behind the main sheet. The original goes to the lab with the can, the 2nd copy goes to the production to give to the editor, and of course, you get the worst generation copy for your records. Some productions like to have more copies to give to other people, as well.

www.colorlab.com has one to download. There are others I've seen across the web; explore google and there you can find some varieties. What you want, really, though, is a report with at least 2 two carbon copies behind the main sheet. The original goes to the lab with the can, the 2nd copy goes to the production to give to the editor, and of course, you get the worst generation copy for your records. Some productions like to have more copies to give to other people, as well.

Mike thanks for the info, but you think you can check some more variation for the camera report on google, somehow google doesnt work in some parts of google.. if u can help me with that it would be soo nice

Thanks

David Elkins has a couple camera reports on his site in word and pdf downloads. http://www.cameraassistantmanual.com/

It wouldn't let me link directly to them but if you click "Forms, Checklists & Labels" there are a couple of variations about half way down the page. Hope this helps.

Edited by Christopher Garland

• Premium Member

My best advice about the job is once you've been on the job a couple days and know the people and the routine, have things done before people ask for them. For example, if the DP is shooting exteriors on the same tungsten stock as interiors, have an appropriate 85 filter clean and ready for the first. You'll learn to know what people want before they know they want it. :D