"Borat" had some DI?

Jonathan Bowerbank

• Premium Member
I couldn't understand why. It's not as if it required any special color correcting or effects, it was mostly shot as a low budg. documentary.

Is it just common practice now for all films to go through the expensive DI process?

Saw it today -- the movie looked like a mix of 24P HD and DV perhaps, plus some archival film, so a film-out to 35mm was inevitable for a release. It may have used film as well for live action scenes, I'm not sure.

It's not usual for a documentary to go thru a D.I. since they often mix formats together. They are often posted in HD these days and if a print is needed, the HD master is recorded out to 35mm.

It's not usual for a documentary to go thru a D.I. since they often mix formats together. They are often posted in HD these days and if a print is needed, the HD master is recorded out to 35mm.

Pathé has an excellent new documentry coming out called Deep Water, it used a DI to mix freshly shot HD with 35mm,16mm and 8mm archieve material.

Good film, well worth the look.

• Premium Member

Anthony Hardwick shot the film and he used to post on the steadicam forum quite a bit. I think he's been quite busy lately, but anyone wanting to find out more details about Borat can probably email him through the Steadicam Forum.

• Premium Member

The television programme for Borat (a segment in the long-running Ali G british TV series) used video grading and effects to make the pictures look like they were stereotypical eastern-european / baltic in origin. You know - made to look like it was shot on U-Matic, illegal luminences, bad keys etc.

I would have thought the film used a "DI" to get the same look as the porgramme. (Although of course DI is the wrong term if you start digitally, because its not Intermediate between analogue processes. Just a boring point :D )

• Premium Member
TOT: Way to go Borat getting punched in the face repeatedly (and justifiably so). It's incredible that he didn't get what was coming to him during the shooting of the movie.

Justifiably so? So you think it's OK to beat the crap out of someone just because they say weird things to you? So do you beat up every mentally unstable person you encounter?

Here's a link to what we're talking about: http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006520669,00.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
If someone approaches you and says he wants to have sex with your clothing you wouldn't be freaked-out enough to hit him if you thought he was serious?

No. Of course if he assaulted me I would protect myself, but my understading is that he was just talking to the guy, not touching him. And I might have been able to forgive the guy for hitting Cohen once, but when Cohen was on the ground after the first punch the guy jumped on him and kept pounding on him. All of this when he could have just kept walking. Not exactly civilized behavior.

I've had plenty of homeless and unstable people say, and scream, some really weird things to me on the street (as I'm sure many of us have) and I've never once touched any of them.

Just to clarify, I am not defending the man that assaulted Cohen, but, at the same time, the people that make these kinds of gross-out/freak-out comedies have it coming. What they do is offensive to my sensibilities. Maybe it was OK for Tom Green to go into a synagogue dressed like Hitler too? Anyone here about the REAL Kazakh film crew taht was having trouble doing a legitimate documentary on the U.S. election system here in Ohio because of that silly film, and the unfortunate name of their cameraman, BoLat?

• Premium Member
Just to clarify, I am not defending the man that assaulted Cohen, but, at the same time, the people that make these kinds of gross-out/freak-out comedies have it coming. What they do is offensive to my sensibilities. Maybe it was OK for Tom Green to go into a synagogue dressed like Hitler too?

You say you're not defending Cohen's attacker, but in the same sentence you say he had it coming.....which is it? Just because he offends someone doesn't mean he deserves an ass-kicking. Freedom of speech is still alive and well in this country (at least in theory).

I never saw Tom Green dressed like Hitler, but he DOES have the right to do that. I certainly don't agree with it, but again....freedom of speech. Acting like an idiot or a racist is no justification for a beating.

I think we've gotten way too far off topic here. I stand by what I've said, but I'm not going to post about it anymore.

• Premium Member
You say you're not defending Cohen's attacker, but in the same sentence you say he had it coming.....which is it? Just because he offends someone doesn't mean he deserves an ass-kicking. Freedom of speech is still alive and well in this country (at least in theory).

I never saw Tom Green dressed like Hitler, but he DOES have the right to do that. I certainly don't agree with it, but again....freedom of speech. Acting like an idiot or a racist is no justification for a beating.

I think we've gotten way too far off topic here. I stand by what I've said, but I'm not going to post about it anymore.

What confuses the issue is if the weird behaviour is being used as a method to violate someone's personal space. The use of weird speak while also approaching/invading somones personal space at the same time makes the issue more complex as to what someone should do in "response".

I brielfly saw a clip of that scene on television, could it have been staged, or the person encouraged to keep hitting Cohen?

I agree it is no justification, and agree that this thread needs to end, badly. However, I have the puerile need to get the last word in on this one: Acting like an idiot or a racist is no justification for a beating, but acting like an idiot or a racist can often provoke that response from many many people.