Good shoes for the set

Matt Graff

Hello,

I have been working on a set for a bit now and I just can not find any good shoes that are comfortable, I know that they will be sore at the end of the day regaurdless but I was wondering if you guys had a special brand/style that you love.

Matt

• Premium Member
I found that I have shitty feet: Low arch, small, wide. Nothing's comfortable after standing for a while. Just deal with it. I got some cheap skechers sneakers.

Good shoes make a huge difference, especially when you're standing on a concrete soundstage floor for 12 hours a day. Get yourself a pair of Merrells Josh. You'll notice the difference the first day you wear them.

Tried 'em, can't wear 'em. The only ones I liked were the moccassins, and the ones that weren't too lose pinched my toes, and the ones that didn't pinch my toes were too loose. There was only one size (maybe half size) difference between the two. It's just something I have to live with.

By the way, there's a reason why construction workers wear what shoes they wear. Those are made for standing around and being on your feet all day.

Go to your local construction site and take a few notes and see how those boots work for ya. Otherwise, just go for a nice flat soled pair of New Balance, always extremely comfy.

You can also go to your local ski shop and get a pair of insoles that are molded from your foot. Those work wonders.

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank

• Premium Member
Otherwise, just go for a nice flat soled pair of New Balance, always extremely comfy.

I'll second New Balance shoes. I put a nail though my right foot when a kid and as a result I'm real sensitive to shoe arch support. If I wear cheap, or poorly designed shoes my right foot gets to aching after a couple of hours on my feet. That never happens with my New Balance walkers. A plus is that they come in multiple widths, you can find the exact size and width for your feet.

I have a pair of Birkenstock Montana, I find them to be quite comfortable all day long. You can also purchase birkenstock insoles and just fit them in your favorite pair of sneakers. I also have a pair of New Balance 574, they are great as well but nothing beats Birkenstock. Believe me, I litterally tried and onwed every possible brand of serious footwear; Asolo, Salomon, LaSportiva, Meindl, Zamberlan...

Hope this helps!

By the way, there's a reason why construction workers wear what shoes they wear. Those are made for standing around and being on your feet all day.

Go to your local construction site and take a few notes and see how those boots work for ya. Otherwise, just go for a nice flat soled pair of New Balance, always extremely comfy.

You can also go to your local ski shop and get a pair of insoles that are molded from your foot. Those work wonders.

as a lighting cameraman/director doing a lot of running around on the floors + climbing on to greenbeds and permanents, i'm pretty comfortable with a no-frills, (clunky looking, like a '50's DeSoto , though !)'woodlands' construction boots for the past 4 years or so. i even wore a pair during a trans-himalayan trip in ladakh in the middle of last winter ! however, the army guys (with whom i had barracked for about a week) advised me to wear their own standard-issue snow shoes to avoid frostbite! keep on truckin' :) rajkumar

Depends what your role is/ where you are performing that role. If I am operating in a house/office/urban area I just wear Reebok classics, but if there is more trecherous terrain underfoot I go for Timberland boots (but they get too hot inside and are not very flexible/agile for operating, but if you are gaffing/gripping, especially outside, Timbo's are great).

I second the part about the socks too, nice sock that are thick but "Breathe" are very helpful (I got some good ones from footlocker that were padded on the botom but were thinner/more porous on top).

Cheers.

Edited by Tomas Koolhaas

• Premium Member

Two things:

1) Everyone's feet are different, so the find the support that works for your own feet an posture.

2) INSOLES!! They have saved my feet and back for the last 15 years. Not the crappy air-pillow things, but something better like Spenco's from a sporting goods store. For me a little extra heel support makes all the difference in my back and general fatigue level. Buy shoes a size larger if need be to make room for the insoles. It's worth it.

Right before I started working on sets, I was a mailman for six months walking about 7 miles a day on average.

Get some really good, higher end running shoes. New Balance or Aasic in particular. They'll last a good while, and they're damn worth the price. If they start giving out, get some Dr Scholl's reinforcement. They never fail me, and I'm TERRIBLE at standing. I have big and freakishly high-arched feet, these are the best shoes to get I'm tellin ya.

• Premium Member
someone may have said this and if so i'm sorry, but my best friend's dad is an emergency room physician and early in life he taught me to switch to a second pair of shoes half way through every work day. if you try it once you'll never go back.

jk :ph34r:

So Mr. Rogers was really on to something, then. ;)