Chocolate

Ken Minehan

Hello Guys,

Recently there was an American film crew in Singapore shooting a feature film "Singapore Dreaming". The DOP was Martina Radwan. I was not on the shoot, but my friends were as grips and lighting crew. They were telling me about lighting night scenes and using a gel called "chocolate". This is something i've never heard of and i assume rarely used in Singapore.

What exactly is this and how is it used?

Thanks

Ken Minehan

• Premium Member

I have used Chocolate Rosco #99 to enhance the skin tones of dark skin actors. Mostly for actresses with brown skin. It has a somewhat glamorous feel to it bringing out a goldish glow to the skin. I have tried it on lighter skin toned caucasian subjects and though it looks good I don't think it looks all that different than a CTO. Whereas 1/4 or 1/2 CTO on brown skin doesn't have the desired effect. I shot a short once with a south american boy with indigenous blood. His skin was already a nice golden brown and the Chocolate really made him glow. It enhanced his already sympathetic look. This effect was perfect for the story.

I have never used it out side but would imagine that it would make any brownish elements in the scene have a warmish gold glow.

F

Last time I remember reading about anyone using chocolate gels it was on Lost Highway. A.C. did an article on the film. Might have some useful tips.

peter deming seems to use alot of chocolate filters. he also used them in From Hell, i think the ac also did an artical on that film as well.

Mullholand Drive might of had some chocolate filters too.