Super 8 backwind facility?

james donovan

• Site Sponsor

Hi, I was just wondering whether theres a super 8 camera that has a backwind facility for rewinding the film.

As far as I know no super8 camera has this ability, and I think you will find in near impossible to back wind a super8 cartridge without causing problems with it jamming. Maybe it could be done but I have not heard of it.

-Rob-

The Canon 1014 models (and maybe a few others that have the lap disolve feature) can double expose for a short period, like no more than 10 seconds, by rewinding the cart slack... it's a built in feature on the 1014's. Otherwise you may want to look at reg 8, or DS8 that use spools instead of carts. The Canon Scoopic 8 has unlimited rewind.

• Site Sponsor

The Canon 1014 models (and maybe a few others that have the lap disolve feature) can double expose for a short period, like no more than 10 seconds, by rewinding the cart slack... it's a built in feature on the 1014's. Otherwise you may want to look at reg 8, or DS8 that use spools instead of carts. The Canon Scoopic 8 has unlimited rewind.

I was assuming a complete rewind of the cartridge for double exposures I did not know about the lap dissolve feature, both of my s8 cameras don't have it (a 104xl and a nizo) there is always 16mm...

-Rob-

Guest Glenn Brady

The Beaulieu 4008 ZM II late series cameras and Beaulieu 4008 ZM4 cameras are equipped with a declutch button that permits rewinding film in a Super 8 cartridge up to about 100 frames. An accessory rewind knob fitting the 1:1 Pilotone shaft on these cameras is needed for this operation, which is aided by the camera's frame counter. There were backwind devices, such as that made by Craven, that permitted backwinding a Super 8 cartridge outside of the camera, and these turn up from time-to-time on eBay. Still, as another contributor suggests, this technique is much more easily accomplished with a regular 8mm or DS8 camera (i.e., without the limitations imposed by the Super 8 cartridge).