Canon HV10 - What is it?????

Guest Kal Karman

Guest kalkarman

What is this new hand held Canon HV10 camera??? http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/HDV/HV10...hd_sensor.shtml

It boasts True HD 1920 x 1080

I just can't believe it. Am I to believe that the resolution one can only get from a Cinealta or a Viper, I now can have in a hand held "video camera" ???

And is this thing Interlaced or Progressive??

Of course it won't have the zillion options one might expect from a higher end camera, but still.. I need some help to understand the sensor on this thing..

please help :)

Kal

• Premium Member

Don't get hung up on the resolution. Remember that a 2K digital intermediate of a 1.85:1 35mm film is done at a resolution around 1828 x 988. Other things effect the perceived image quality more such as lattitude (ability to handle extreme light conditions), colour rendition, lens quality and image compression.

A few techie points just looking at the specs of the camera....

It records to HDV, so irrelevant of the image resolution it will actually be recording a very compressed image that is 1440 x 1080 in luminence resolution and 480 x 1080 in colour resolution.

It seems to also be able to record to memory card. The figures they use (for stills) suggest compression ratios between 4:1 and 18:1

If there is an HD video out, then one could teather to a better recorder than HDV, although connecting a tiny handy cam with a domestic lens to a $90,000 HD CAM SR deck that takes two people to lift probably doesn't make too much sense!

So just having a once over of specs, I would say the resolution thing is more of a marketing thing than a practical one, since that won't make a huge difference to the image quality compared to what the lens or the HDV compression is doing to the image.

This full high definition 1920x1080i is just a marketing gimmick. First of all the resolution the camera records is limited to 1440x1080. Second of all the camera does not shoot true progressive so the effective resolution for each of the 60 fields per second is only 1440x540. After the end of the day when all is said and done the 720p format with its 1280x720 resolution and its 60 complete frames per second actually delivers the most pixels. Nevertheless most consumers will probably jump on the 1080i bandwagon because they think they are getting higher resolution because bigger numbers always sell. Following this logic a nickel should be worth more than a dime because the nickel is bigger than the dime.

• Premium Member
After the end of the day when all is said and done the 720p format with its 1280x720 resolution and its 60 complete frames per second actually delivers the most pixels.

Why don't you just put this quote in your signature, that way you don't have to continually type it into every post you make.

It always used to amaze me that people would buy a $3000 1080i HDV camera and would boast that their camera outputs twice the resolution of the $45,000 720p Panasonic Varicam. They suffered a rude awakening when they later found out that in the time it took their HDV camera to scan 1080 lines the Varicam had already scanned 1440 lines.

• Premium Member
It always used to amaze me that people would buy a $3000 1080i HDV camera and would boast that their camera outputs twice the resolution of the $45,000 720p Panasonic Varicam. They suffered a rude awakening when they later found out that in the time it took their HDV camera to scan 1080 lines the Varicam had already scanned 1440 lines.

You think people sufffered a "rude awakening" when they discovered their $3000 HDV camera wasn't as good as a Varicam? OH, the HUMANITY!

• Premium Member
If there is an HD video out, then one could teather to a better recorder than HDV, although connecting a tiny handy cam with a domestic lens to a $90,000 HD CAM SR deck that takes two people to lift probably doesn't make too much sense!

Hi David,

I was using the portable HD CAM SR deck last week, not heavy at all, and records at twice the data rate of the heavy studio machine! Tapes recorded at 880 can only be played back by the portable deck however!

Stephen

• Premium Member

Hi Stephen,

Yes - I was forgetting the SRW1, which I think is a very neat solution. Although in this case possibly a bit wasted on a domestic camera!

Apart from the compatability issue with single-speed HDCAM SR decks, did you come across any other issues in practical use?

David Cox

Baraka Post Production

www.baraka.co.uk