The Astronaut Farmer

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the other hand, even though I love the horror film genre, I really have no interest in the "torture" movies that are currently all the rage. I find it really disturbing that people find it entertaining, to see people suffer on film and eventually die, repeated again and again.

Oh my God, David: Bravo - Hearing this just made my day. Worthy of its own topic (I'm sure there's been one or two already though). I watched Hostel out of sheer curiosity - the buzz was strong - critically and financially the movie was a complete success. Then I saw it. I saw it and it basically made me completely sick. Eli Roth is finding a massive market for snuff filmmaking. As far as I'm concerned, this kind of trash is the worst thing in theaters. And now there's Hostel 2 and this new crap: Turistas Go Home???? I'm always down for a good horror film - but Hostel and everything it's doing to the industry needs to STOP. I caught the second half of Videodrome tonight on TV - one of my favorite horror films, and fantastically relevant to what's going on right now.

Anyway, so enough of that off-topic rant. I just caught the Astronaut Farmer trailer and came here to post thoughts on it - pleased to see the topic already has legs!

It looks stellar. Perfect levels of diffusion - It looks like you're a master of smoke use here. The film looks warm and nostalgic, and the magic hour backlit stuff is, of course, candy.

The story I love - home-made rocket into space? Holy crap that's something I would eat up. Unfortunately for me, the trailer really paints a dangerously sentimental picture. Heart-warming is great, but I really hope this doesn't go overboard into sap-territory, because it's something I would otherwise get really into. The end of the trailer scares me a bit, I have to admit. I think they paint a mood with the music and dialogue that seems a fair bit goofier and more cartoony than what you've accomplished visually.

At the same time, there don't seem to be a whole lot of family movies being made lately that are of this caliber.

Regardless, I'll see it because I'm sure there will be some setups I'll be dying to ask about. What an amazing resource to have you here! And congratulations on this one, it looks absolutely great.

• 3 weeks later...
My "style" is more a reflection of my taste than how I interpret dramatic material more than a conscious search to be original.

And as all great cinematographers have, you've developed a great taste. Astronaut Farmer looks gorgeous, I always look forward to your Polish films, and I've been waiting and waiting for something ever since "Northfork". Congrats on completing the film! And the story sounds fantastic, only a couple more months till it's out!

I just saw it too. It was at the head of "We are Marshall." It was printed much darker than what the online trailer looks. It had much more detail in those bright windows like in that lobby shot. Just the right amount of detail to my eye. It looked fantastic.

You know, after seeing several of your films, I'm starting to really see what I would call the David Mullen style. Classic Hollywood in the best way, a bit of Deschanel, Richardson and some Willis. Same kind of thing I aspire too.

You know, after seeing several of your films, I'm starting to really see what I would call the David Mullen style. Classic Hollywood in the best way, a bit of Deschanel, Richardson and some Willis. Same kind of thing I aspire too.

I was thinking the same thing the other day. Perhaps sprinkle a little Janusz Kaminski in there?

• Premium Member
I was thinking the same thing the other day. Perhaps sprinkle a little Janusz Kaminski in there?

I'm still trying to figure it out myself. To really have a signature style, you have to be allowed to explore it over several films or projects, to keep developing it. My projects vary too wildly in genre (and technology used) to allow me to impose a common style, or even variations on one. Only the four Polish Brothers movies have allowed me to explore some common visual ideas while modifying them for the particular project.

• Premium Member

Apple has the HD trailer up:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/theastronautfarmer/hd/

I just love the opening shots with him on the horse and in the kitchen, it didn't feel the same when watching the smaller trailer. I also thought this was a ballsy composition with the horizon centered, but it totally works:

th_astro-sky.png

• Premium Member

I must admit that that shot was 2nd Unit, shot by DP Phil Pfeiffer ("hey, the weather is turning really bad... let's send Phil and the kid out there to get some ranching shots...") But the opening shots of the astronaut on horseback riding the sand dunes at sunrise (sunset actually) was shot by me with a small splinter unit.

The frame you grabbed was from a much later montage of time passing.

I was thinking more of the 'never center the horizon' rule which in my experience most images follow.

I think we're talking about the same thing. The rule of thirds would place the horizon 1/3 up from the bottom of frame, or 1/3 down from top. This is sometimes presented as an unbreakable rule in Photography manuals. I think this still shows quite clearly that rules are made to be broken....

I think we're talking about the same thing. The rule of thirds would place the horizon 1/3 up from the bottom of frame, or 1/3 down from top. This is sometimes presented as an unbreakable rule in Photography manuals. I think this still shows quite clearly that rules are made to be broken....

Judging from the foreground, this was shot with a wide angle.

Since it's anamorphic, if the horizon were 1/3 from the bottom or top, it would have been curved.

That's a reason for breaking a composition rule.

Not that the curve is necessarily bad.

Edited by Leo Anthony Vale

• Premium Member

The classic "rules" are just useful guidelines, not laws!

You have to judge every shot individually. In this case, when you have ground and sky to frame, you have to judge which is more important, more interesting. Sometimes both are interesting so you split them equally. Sometimes symmetry is interesting, sometimes it's boring.

Looks like the Polish brothers most accessible film to date.

The trailer certainly makes it seem so.

David, any insight you could provide us with concerning the commercial potential of this film? Is it still very much a "Polish Brothers" film, in keeping with the style and pacing of any of their past films?

• Premium Member

This is an oddity -- an AVID cut of a temp trailer that somehow showed up on You Tube mysteriously. It is not timed (I think it's from the video dailies):

It is definitely more commercial than their previous movies, but it also still contains recognizable elements from their earlier films.

This is an oddity -- an AVID cut of a temp trailer that somehow showed up on You Tube mysteriously. It is not timed (I think it's from the video dailies):

Funny how Bruce Willis isn't included in the original trailer, hmmm

Maybe they don't want people thinking this has anything to do with "Armageddon"? ha ha

Hey David, the footage looks wonderful. The interior day shots are simply brilliant. Schedule permitting, Im gonna see it the first weekend its out. I noticed something in the trailer and Im surprised that it wasnt cut around. Its about halfway in and its a tracking shot of the government guys in suits walking through the lobby and it looks like the dolly hit a bump in the track. Not a big deal since most people probably dont notice it. I tried to point it out to my girlfriend and she couldnt see it. Just surprised it was in the trailer.