Good lens for an xl1s

jon lawrence

Hi, can anyone recomend a good lens for a canon xl1s. I'm trying to acheive a more "cinematic" feel with the camera and I read that the best thing to do would be to buy a either a x14 or x16 manual focus lens. To be honest I'm a little in over my head. Any help would be much appreciated.

The lens alone will not give you a "cinematic" look. Some prefer the manual lenses over the stock lens.

The web is overloaded with articles and various forums are stuffed with techniques on how to achieve a more cinematic look while shooting on video. Do some (web) homework and you'll find more than you probably care to know on the topic. Just use the "search" feature and you'll be all set.

if youre just starting out you should try to get as good of an image out of your camera as you can and practice with that for a while. The xl series are awesome cameras... when u think u can handle it look into 35mm adapters like the letus35xl at www.adapterplace.com I love mine

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

The 14x manual focus lens is the sharpest lens that was ever made for that camera. They are pretty tough to come by these days. It was a Canon ENG lens that Canon converted the mount so it would fit the XL1 after Fujinon came out with a lens for the camera and embarrassed Canon.

I had one for a few years and loved it. Just make sure you use a tripod as the lens has no image stabilization and gets pretty shaky when zoomed in.

-Tim