Marker

Background

Action

Cut.

C.-

If you have multiple cameras

Camera 1, 2, ...

Marker 1 , 2

I have done sub shouts for multiple camera as well. I use xl-1's, and I have a check off list to make sure both cameras are on the same settings,

gain

nd

stabelizer

auto focus

light

iris

shutter speed

etc.

And depending on the setup, if any of the two camera differs, we stop scene and try to figrue out why one camera has nd on and the other one doesn't. :-)

Hope this helps.

C.-

From my limited small crew experience...

-"Quiet on the set"

-"Sound"

-Soundman replies "speed"

-"This is scene X take Y."

-"Camera"

-Camera operator replies "speed"

-"Marker"

-"Action"

When shooting film, I like to call "camera" as late in the process as possible, to save a foot or two of film per take. That little bit adds up over the course of a day.

-Chance Shirley

Birmingham, Alabama

Great. I have heard some alternatives, like "rolling" instead of "speed" etc.

Can anyone of you tell me any other alternatives to these shouts?

By the way, you forgot the "print it" and "that's a wrap"

And who yells all that? AD or the director?

And I've heard some people shouting something that sounds like "turn over" or similar before the action.

If anyone else remembers anything else post it..

p.s. Does "marker" refers to those tape markers on floor that actors should stand on?

Yes. Camera "rolling" and Sound has "Speed".

Either way works. I usually say "Rolling" to camera because film rolls as well as tape :-)

Marker are the "clappers". Them boards like this one.

http://store1.yimg.com/I/cinemasupplies_1802_4202052

There are digital one's like this one

http://store1.yimg.com/I/cinemasupplies_1802_4287730

That is what is by marker.

Turn over maybe related to turning over the slate as for inserts, MOS, or tail inserts. Someome with a bit more experience will need to verify this.

As for who yells PRINT and That's a wrap ? Certainly not the DP.

It is either the Director or his 1st AD.

C.

I never said DP, I said AD.

And, I didn't ask for "print it" and wrap, those must be by the director.

I asked who yells Camera, sound and marker.

By the way. I heard this "turn over" or whatever it was in the Star wars episode1

documentary. The AD was yelling that before takes. I think it was just before

the "action". Like "(that phrase)...and action"

• Premium Member

Usually the AD calls for sound and camera to roll, the director calls action and cut. Sometimes the director waits for the operator to yell "set" before calling action.

The AD announces that they are done by saying "check the gate". Nobody really says "print" anymore -- the director just tells the script supervisor which takes to circle, with any preferred takes noted. AD calls "wrap" at the end of the day.

Actually, after the first few shots, it's usually streamlined even more for your average take:

AD: "Roll sound"

Sound: "Speed" (sometimes also slate ID is called out, sometimes it's pre-recorded at the sound cart)

Usually as soon as you hear "speed" from sound, you roll camera. The 2nd AC may even just clap the slate a few beats later rather than wait for "marker" -- I've also seen some 1st AC's give a hand signal to the 2nd AC to mark the slate when camera is up to speed.

So often after Sound says "speed", the next thing you hear (after the clap of the slate) is the operator saying "set." Then the director calling action.

• Premium Member

Getting slated, marked, and set promptly is more important on low budget movies than elsewhere. If you can save two or three feet of film at the head of each take, and you shoot about a thousand takes for the picture, that's two or three rolls of film on your stock and processing budget.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
I'm getting really anal here but I believe WRAP stands for Wind Reel And Print.

Not here in the US. Wrap means wrap. As in wrap it up. Done. Go home. The 1st AD is the only one who calls wrap, and then and only then it means the entire company is done shooting for the day.

This evening I got to hear the glorious "And that is a PICTURE WRAP on The Gold Bracelet" -- meaning we had finished shooting our last of 30 days of principle photography.

• Premium Member

People use "picture's up" all the time, but it doesn't carry as much directive force as "quiet please." Sometimes it helps to change up the phrase so that people notice, by saying things like "this is picture" or "we're going for a take" -- anything to let peole know it's not another rehearsal and that they need to shut up for sound.

Of course, on ultra-low budget pictures, it could be:

Camera.

Marker.

Oh poop, the cops!

har har

Hey, I've heard people say only takes circled get processed.

How is THAT possible?

You can't really process part of a roll, right?

How the hell would you know what is where?

I get that you can print certain takes, but you gotta process all the neg, right?

Matt Pacini

Am not a pro pro... but I done end slate many times.

You described a good example of when to use it, I often come across it when a line is flubbed and it is picked up from the beginning, but for speedneess there is no need to mark just continue roll and then end slate.

C.-

It happens frequently on shoots of mine but you have to yell "tail sticks" to make sure the camera and sound isn't instinctively cut after the take, then it is marked upside down and quickly spun upright so the editor can read the slate easier.

It's also common on documentaries that shoot film because you are frequently turning on the camera quickly to catch action and don't have time to do a proper head slate.

• Premium Member
People use "picture's up" all the time, but it doesn't carry as much directive force as "quiet please."

Another different, and very annoying way of shutting people up, is the constant shooshing A.D. and P.A.'s. Shhhh, shhhh, shhhhh.....drives me nuts. They make more noise shooshing than everyone talking. And while I'm on the subject, another annoying "shout" is when a P.A. on set (standing 10 feet away from the 1st AD) repeats everything the A.D. says, but yells it.

A.D. Picture's up.

P.A. PICTURE'S UP!!!!

A.D. Roll sound.

P.A. ROLLING!!!!!

This is especially bad when you're doing a quiet scene in which the actors have to be very emotional. I can't concentrate with all that yelling, and I'm just operating the camera. I don't know how the actors manage to deal with it.

• Premium Member

For us actor type people its called training ... or talent ... depending on the actor. B)

I've done lots of stage acting work. There's nothing harder on concentration than trying to remember lines (no second takes) while there's a cell phone going off, flash photography, you know the show's being video-ed, a baby is crying, twelve people are coughing, and the person you're on stage with is intentionally trying to make you break character.

But the one 35mm shoot I worked on at one point in time they kept bringing in crew who were someone's friend, so they would get like 3rd AD or 4th AD or 13th AD and at one point we had someone standing a good hundred yards away from the camera, behind parking and a trailer, and you would hear:

1st AD: QUIET PLEASE!

2nd AD (softer): Quiet please!

3rd AD (almost inaudible but screaming) : quiet please.

• Premium Member
This is especially bad when you're doing a quiet scene in which the actors have to be very emotional.  I can't concentrate with all that yelling, and I'm just operating the camera.  I don't know how the actors manage to deal with it.

"SOFT STICKS!"

Came to mind, dont know why . . .

Kevin Zanit