SamCine DoF Calc's

So ive been trying to find a samcine DoF calc. for a short im 1sting in January (my first time 1sting on 35mm). Ive used the samcine, the kelly weel, and the Palm Pilots before, and i def like the samcine the best. But several places online have been out of stock on those things for a while now. Panavision had a link to them, for about 200 bucks, but it seemed like every other place (filmtools, etc.) was implying that theyve stopped making them or something. Anyone know about this? I know the Kelly wheels are cheaper, but, whatev.

Ive got printed DoF 'graphs' but those are for primes and for 16mm; i dont have them for 35mm. Does anyone have anything like that? just a cheap, paper graph, you know.

thanks mates

If you have a Palm or similar device, you can download the David Eubank software PCam and PCine. This is what I ended up doing, because I figured I could use the Palm for other things too, and it would be easier to look at than a table or chart. I also had an insert slate made of the same material as one of those Sam-Cine or Guild Kelly calculators, and when my Harrison bag got tossed into the van and landed wrong, my slate got cracked- that was when I figured, why buy a D.O.F. calculator and risk having the same thing happen? So I bought a Palm Tungsten E22 for the On Sale Yet Still Painful price of about $200 and got the software. When I'm on set it goes safely in my pocket. I bitched and moaned and finally told myself that sometimes you have to spend money to make money. The software really gives you a good visualization of your D.O.F. and hyperfocal, and you can figure out other useful things as well. So for me, it was more worthwhile than getting a manual calculator.

This being said, if you want something different, check on ebay. Once in a while, I see them listed for pretty cheap- like less than $100. Good luck!

• Premium Member

Panavision had a link to them, for about 200 bucks, but it seemed like every other place (filmtools, etc.) was implying that theyve stopped making them or something. Anyone know about this? I know the Kelly wheels are cheaper, but, whatev.

Ive got printed DoF 'graphs' but those are for primes and for 16mm; i dont have them for 35mm. Does anyone have anything like that? just a cheap, paper graph, you know.

thanks mates

... Give Panavision shop a call direct - they somtimes have them in stock, the Uk branch did recently...

Rupe Whiteman UK

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Could anybody comment on this?

Kelly Wheels don't crack when you drop them. :P

It's all about useer prefs. You have to get 2 Kellys. 1 for 16 and 1 for 35. The SamCine does both, and I think it's a much more visual solution, especially when you're learning.

I've had my SamCine for over 12 years, and have never owned or used a Kelly Wheel.

Pick up a Palm III on ebay and put pCam on it. Probably the cheapest alternative. And also a good visual representation of what's going on. Plus it has lots more features.

i was lucky to get my samcine from a ex-AC in LA for $75. Have you called filmtools? i thought i saw one the other day there but i could be wrong. call panavision like Rupe said. I saw some DOF calculators their the other month but maybe not the SamCine.