Shooting 1 Roll over 2 Days

Jonathan Bowerbank

Hey everyone,

I'm shooting a portrait project that's just starting up. I'm doing some pretty basic portraits of San Francisco artists & characters. But, the thing is I really don't plan on shooting more than 50' per person, and I have two people lined up so far for separate days.

I'm using an Arriflex SR, If I were to shoot someone on a Saturday and I wanted to preserve the rest of the roll for my shoot with the other person on Monday, will my film hold up fine if I leave it in the mag all day Sunday?

I'm assuming yes, it'll be fine. But would it be OK to store it in the fridge, or could that cause some condensation?

Your input will be appreciated :)

• Site Sponsor
Hey everyone,

I'm shooting a portrait project that's just starting up. I'm doing some pretty basic portraits of San Francisco artists & characters. But, the thing is I really don't plan on shooting more than 50' per person, and I have two people lined up so far for separate days.

I'm using an Arriflex SR, If I were to shoot someone on a Saturday and I wanted to preserve the rest of the roll for my shoot with the other person on Monday, will my film hold up fine if I leave it in the mag all day Sunday?

I'm assuming yes, it'll be fine. But would it be OK to store it in the fridge, or could that cause some condensation?

Your input will be appreciated :)

I have done this many,many times with no adverse reactions, I would not put the mags in the fridge, nor would I leave them out in the sun, etc. a nice cool dry place for the camera gear and mags should be fine.

-Rob-

Guest Michael Collier II

On my last shoot, I had a 3 days (sat-mon) and had to wait until the next sat for one scene (hospital location rescheduled us....its what you get when your not paying.) so in an effort to save money by not buying extra boxes to ship film to the lab I kept the mag on the camera for the whole week (the box the film came in from media distributors had room for only one extra can, so it limited short ending ability for me). Left the camera in my closet with a blanket over it to protect any light leaks (more superstition I think than anything) and had no problems whatso ever. Good luck with the shoot.

Well holy crap its mr. bowerbank. Whats going on man...long time. looks like you been keepin yourself pretty busy there up in the bay...nice!

To reconfirm what has alreay been said...you should be alright. I shot a short a few years back with 95% interiors and the rest outdoor. The director only bought one roll of daylight and the rest was 7274. The annoying thing was that we had a couple of shots outside on day 1 and the rest was indoor for a week. The annoying thing was that we didn't have many mags but our loader still managed.

anyways... hope your shoot goes well and maybe I'll see you around.

What's up "hyphen"! I see you've taken the hyphen out of your name...I miss hyphen.

Yeah man, I've been keeping busy up here, mainly shooting my own shorts and shooting student projects. But life up here in SF is good, and there actually IS work from time to time, ha ha

Thanks everyone for responding...it was really a pointless post it seems since I already knew the answer, I just manage to get a little nervous when leaving film in a camera for more than on day :/

cheers!