Wal*Mart commercial

One of the greatest things about art is that it can bring people together and be enjoyed by those who are otherwise separated by poilitics, religion, etc.

That's all art is- politics. Actually in Russia, trying to supress revolution the artists where the first people to be dragged out in shot by the White Army. This has happened through out history. Don't let anyone ever tell you can't change the world through your art. The best art does.

If employees don't like it they can quit or get degree and become a professional.

Not only is this not true, it is a piss poor excuse for mistreating your employees. Up bringing plays a huge role in what you do in life and especially your social mobility. Here's the proof- Roe vs. Wade in the 60s, the court case that legalized abortion proved to decrease crime in the 90s, because people who would have had children with poor up bringings (crime prone, walmart prone) weren't alive.

Eric- poor attitude, but I still love you.

Edited by Danielle Frankinshten

Thanks for the love Danielle...

BUT

I was careful when I said art "CAN bring people together"...I didn't say it always does or has. I took history classes too. What was on my mind specifically was modern cinema and the social aspect of a theater.

When I typed "if employees don't like it they can quit or get degree and become a professional" I didn't say that was my opinion. I said it was another side of the argument I had heard.

Poor attitude? C'mon...

• Premium Member

The take the job or leave it comment shouldn't be attributed to Eric. It's a commonly held view among libertarians and Ayn Rand followers to justify what Walmart is doing.

The irony is the more Walmarts that exist, the less parallel jobs exist.

If one works for Walmart, they take a job with a company that keeps raising their profit motive while reducing their employees standing with the company. How can Walmart do that? Walmart is actually assisting in the wiping out of parallel job opportunites by buying all of their product from China (aka Rubbermaid Wooster Ohio, just google those three words and see what comes up).

If neither of those two scenarios are acceptable, the third scenario is to go to school for a real long time, and in the process run up huge college debts.

Or, buy a Mac and hope that one day you get discovered.

Welcome to the new America.

That's all art is- politics. Actually in Russia, trying to supress revolution the artists where the first people to be dragged out in shot by the White Army. This has happened through out history. Don't let anyone ever tell you can't change the world through your art. The best art does.

& the Reds didn't?

Political art is not one sided. Stalin killed off those who didn't toe the party line.

Plato wanted art eliminated from the republic. I'm sure Ernie G. was the same.

Though Leni Riefenstahl claimed art is apolitical.

Often one evil is displaced by a greater evil.

Not only is this not true, it is a piss poor excuse for mistreating your employees. Up bringing plays a huge role in what you do in life and especially your social mobility. Here's the proof- Roe vs. Wade in the 60s, the court case that legalized abortion proved to decrease crime in the 90s, because people who would have had children with poor up bringings (crime prone, walmart prone) weren't alive.

Danielle, I am vehemently Pro Life, but that is besides the point. My point is this, if abortion is legal, how can Wal-Mart continue to find impoverished people to slave away at sub-standard wages as it spreads like a plague across the world? You're cutting into their workforce! ;-)

ERIC: On a more serious note: Why did you decide to shoot in HD? Did the Wal-Mart corporate structure in fact have an effect on your production, i.e. did they exert any pressure on you moreso than another corporation would have, or have any unusual requests/policies during the shoot? I haven't seen the commercial, but will keep an eye out for it. Congratulations, none-the-less. We may not agree with Wal-Mart and it's policies, but we all must agree that they did some damned good marketing and business planning to get where they are today. I'm guilty of having used them to process Kodachrome myself. They even haggled D'Wayne's Film Lab down to a lower price!

Poor attitude?

What about your elitist and cynical defense of abortion. Aside from the bad logic, that's basically the reason the Nazis gave for retroactively aborting the mentally deficient.

Whoa.....umm, this went real far real fast...

I think wal-mart is lower than amphibian poop, but hey, congrats on making a well recieved piece!

Work is work. (please, no 'arbeit macht frei' jokes... :lol: ) No really, I'm always happy for you guys who get what you work on out for people to see. Exposure. It's important even if it is a wal-mart commercial. Congratulations, again!

-Jonnie

Karl- The only reason I brought up Roe vs. Wade is because it proves up bringing contributes to what you do with your future.

The Wade vs. Roe case study is discussed in the book Freakonomics. I recommend it highly. The authors use the tools of economics to come to interesting conclusions about social trends. Not even noting the data that they refer to , it's obvious that abortion would have this effect on crime. After all, women often have abortions because they can't provide proper care for a child. Now unless you think children thrive in a foster home setting, this discussion (at least my end) is over.

Karl- The only reason I brought up Roe vs. Wade is because it proves up bringing contributes to what you do with your future.

Danielle, no offense, but this is not the place to be discussing this topic, on a Wal-Mart commercial shoot thread. PM or email me if you would like, and we can discuss the topic until we are both angry and blue in the face. . .

Eric, I hope that you are still here, despite the silly tangent this thread has taken to discuss your choice of format and the influence, if any, that Wal-Mart exercised during the shoot as opposed to that of another company.

• 2 weeks later...

Karl,

HD was mandated by the agency as a requirement. They said it's Wal*Mart's new policy. It's strange since the year before I did a couple other spots for them and were quite happy shooting film. I have since heard from other people doing Wal*Mart commercials that they are shooting film. So who knows.

The spot in the theater is no longer airing since it was for christmas, but a couple others still are but on tv. One involves a wife taking a family photo and picking up the pics at the store, the other involves a little boy buying some stuff at a register with a gift card.

Danielle, I am vehemently Pro Life, but that is besides the point. My point is this, if abortion is legal, how can Wal-Mart continue to find impoverished people to slave away at sub-standard wages as it spreads like a plague across the world? You're cutting into their workforce! ;-)

ERIC: On a more serious note: Why did you decide to shoot in HD? Did the Wal-Mart corporate structure in fact have an effect on your production, i.e. did they exert any pressure on you moreso than another corporation would have, or have any unusual requests/policies during the shoot? I haven't seen the commercial, but will keep an eye out for it. Congratulations, none-the-less. We may not agree with Wal-Mart and it's policies, but we all must agree that they did some damned good marketing and business planning to get where they are today. I'm guilty of having used them to process Kodachrome myself. They even haggled D'Wayne's Film Lab down to a lower price!