The Oh in Ohio

• Premium Member

The bokeh in The Oh in Ohio seems anamorphic, but supposedly it was shot with spherical lenses (according to imdb). I've seen this in other films before, what type of lens causes this type of distortion? The bokeh seems a more rectangular oval than anamorphic. This screen grab from the trailer isn't that hi-res but it's all I could find after watching the DVD:

th_DD-oh.jpg

• Premium Member

The screen grab from the trailer I posted is a terrible example because it's kind of a wide shot. I think Mitch is on the right track, a matte box or something obscurring the circles. I would like to understand what is actually going on a little more, is it like vignetting? Here's a diagram of the type of bokeh I'm talking about:

ob-bokeh.jpg

• Premium Member
The screen grab from the trailer I posted is a terrible example because it's kind of a wide shot. I think Mitch is on the right track, a matte box or something obscurring the circles.

Ah, optical vignetting, then?

The bokeh looks pretty uniform, from sides to center frame, though. Wouldn't optical vignetting be more noticeable near the edges of the frame and gradually disappear toward the center?

Maybe there were just a few scenes with what were registered as point sources of light in the background that were in fact oval or rectangular sources that naturally produce the elongated bokeh that has caught your eye ? It certainly is possible with the example frame grab we have here.

That being said I haven't seen the whole film so cant comment on the rest of what you have described...

yeh yeh ?

no ? :rolleyes: