Reel '07

Check it.

Reel:

HD size: http://www.chayseirvin.com/video/reel07HD.mov

Normal size: http://www.chayseirvin.com/video/reel07.mov

Small size: http://www.chayseirvin.com/video/reel07med.mov

Still needs work. Hopefully I'll get to shoot some hot stuff in the new year. Added some Varicam + Pro35 footy, and a S16 short.

Really great looking stuff. Lots of variation in the shots, and it gives you a good feel for how you shoot people (Which i think is important in a reel). I like the music too. Good job.

What was the snowboarding footage shot on? It looked really good.

Really great looking stuff. Lots of variation in the shots, and it gives you a good feel for how you shoot people (Which i think is important in a reel). I like the music too. Good job.

What was the snowboarding footage shot on? It looked really good.

Thanks Bryant. Its shot on Varicam with the Pro35 using CookeS4's for a feature called "Switch". We have a massive 13 day reshoot next month. Were hiring a 2nd unit Director to shoot all the stunts. He's a master at wire-cam rigs apparently. He's talking about rigging a operator on a wire across the huge half pipe at whistler. Heres some bike footy he's done. http://www.chayseirvin.com/video/switchstuntsroam.mov

Pretty nuts eh. However were planing on shooting that on HVX and I'll hopefully be shooting the Phantom HD for that aswell. http://www.visiblesolutions.com/index.cfm?...e=camera_HD_new Still waiting on a quote.

Edited by Chayse Irvin

How Chayse, nice work. I really appreciated your use of color. You have great diversity in your work. I also love your use of flares. Whoever edited this together did an amazing job as well. All in all, a very inspiring reel to cinematographers. As a director, it shows me the power you have to tell stories. Keep it up,

Nice, really nice!

You intro title scared the hell out of me though - I though it was a horror film! Really woke me up! :D

You might want to add a few wider shots maybe. I showed a rough cut of my new reel (which isn't up on my site yet) to my teacher recently and he said that I needed a few more wide shots because there were to many close-ups. Obviously though its a personal preference thing.

Good job!

Hey Chayse, I enjoyed your reel. Some of my favorite shots are the super 8 shots (i think its super 8) I liked your use of slow motion as well. The shot overhead of the guys in the car is nice also. In my opinion there is only, maybe 1 shot that I would take out and that maybe there is to much slow mo shots even though they're all quite good. My biggest problem with it is your graphic at the beginning. That is the only thing I would definitely get rid of. I dont think it sets you up at all for what your going to see nor does it enhance anything. I think the first shot stands alone and I would just put your info at the end. Otherwise youve got a very good and marketable reel.

Oh yeah and the music works wonderfully. Who is that?

Good luck,

andrew

Thanks for the complement guys!

Some of my favorite shots are the super 8 shots (i think its super 8) I liked your use of slow motion as well. The shot overhead of the guys in the car is nice also.

It was flash exposed S16mm film... its pretty risky but you let light leek into your changeing bag and vwalla fogged and burned footage! hehe. The over head shot was DVX.

In my opinion there is only, maybe 1 shot that I would take out and that maybe there is to much slow mo shots even though they're all quite good. My biggest problem with it is your graphic at the beginning. That is the only thing I would definitely get rid of. I dont think it sets you up at all for what your going to see nor does it enhance anything. I think the first shot stands alone and I would just put your info at the end. Otherwise youve got a very good and marketable reel.

Oh yeah and the music works wonderfully. Who is that?

Good luck,

andrew

I agree, the title is a little out of place... but its there to draw attention to a slow starting reel. Might be nice without it though. The music is imogen heap.

excellent work. great choice of music.

question: was all of this originally framed scope? it looks like some shots may have been framed 1.85 cropped for 2.35.

just curious.

You got me Frank. One project isn't framed for scope... you can probably tell which one by watching it. I had the reel letter boxed at first but I got some hate mail because of the matte, so I cropped it in compressor. The reason why it is not Scope is because some of the film is shot on the varicam and the 1280x720 resolution looks like poop with an anamorphic film out.

Edited by Chayse Irvin

• 3 weeks later...