• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-The Pursuit of Happyness

- Akeelah and the Bee

- Children of Men

- Hard Candy

- All The King's Men

These are my top five favorite films viewed within the past year - not necessarily released within that time.

• Premium Member
What I meant is that I like the feel of the Aaton better. Some people think that it is more stable, quiet and comfortable than the Arri. Feature film productions may like the Arri better because of the features you mention. I'll have to look it up somewhere. The Aaton is a better field camera.

Sorry to enervate you, I didn't receive all the replies to my message.

i dont know whether there is any point in me writing this, but...you might prefer the aaton, but if you followed max's advice and did some homework you'd know that one of the main reasons people choose an arri lt over the aaton 35 is the fact that the aaton is considered noisier. or you could just re read this thread and actually take in the information that both david and max have given you.

Edited by Keith Mottram

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For me,

Taxidermia

Lights In The Dusk

The Proposition

Lady in the Water

Children of Men

Climates

The Road To Guantanamo

By the way I am also a new member, and I love this site, it's great :)

V.

The American Society of Cinematographers held their annual awards show last weekend and they selected "Children Of Men," shot by Emmanuel Lubeski, ASC, AMC, as the best-shot film of 2006.

The other nominees in the feature category were "Apocalypto" (Dean Semler, ASC, ACS), "The Black Dahlia" (Vilmos Zsigmond, ASC), "The Good Shepherd" (Robert Richardson, ASC) and "The Illusionist" (Dick Pope, BSC).

I attended the awards show as well as the ASC open house event. Here's a link to some photos:

http://www.fromscripttodvd.com/asc_2007.htm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My list is pretty close to David's.

1. Children of Men

2. The Fountain

3. Pan's Labyrinth

4. Babel

5. Good Shepherd

For me, Children of Men was hands down the best cinematography of the year. The next couple of pictures, for me, aren't that close. The Fountain was my #1 picture of the year, but cinematography was actually not its strongest element. The acting, music, and stunning macro-photography FX are just incredible in The Fountain, but several of the early jungle night scenes looked overlit to me. The "bathtub" scene in The Fountain, though, was perfectly shot and was the best stand-alone scene from any movie last year, IMO. Pan's was just flat out gorgeously shot, but I don't think its photography was as innovative or compelling as CoM's. CoM's photography is 100% vital to its storytelling -- to its very existence as a film. Babel was obviously another beautiful piece of cinema photography. The deserts of Morocco and the urban jungles and landscapes of Tokyo were my favorites locales. And the Good Shepherd was probably the most overlooked, because its photography was so perfect that it almost goes unnoticed. The photography was super professional, and never drew attention to itself.

I have not seen Marie Antoinette yet, but I suspect I am really going to like it. I'm hoping to see it in HD.

The biggest disappointment for me was Apocalypto, which I thought was going to be my favorite cinematography of the year, going off the trailer. I was also really excited because it was shot on the Genesis. But in the end, it only turned out to above average in cinematography. I'm not sure if it was Semler, or the camera, but it never lived up to my hopes.

Edited by Tom Lowe

• 3 weeks later...