ad-on wide lens

Jaco Jansen

Howzit All

Can any of you guru's out there recommend an ad-on wide lens adaptor for the standard 20x XL2 lens?

I'm looking for a quick solution for shooting in confined spaces such as car interiors, apartment kitchens, prison cells and what have you. There are quite a few available on the net, but i'd like to hear from someone who actually used/tested one. No point in ordering without research...

PS. I am not pleased with the 3X Canon lens. The cost/performance ratio isn't floating my boat.

Mainly the servo focus. I found pulling focus nearly impossible on it, even with the deep dof it provides. The servo on two of these lenses that I used on earlier shoots does not respond proportionally to the amount/speed that you adjust. Since it's not manual, you can't mark it ether.. It's really frustrating when you are wasting takes because of focus problems. Also, the lens is not cheap when you have to import it, and ends up not being worth the bucks. Any suggestions for an ad-on?

• 5 months later...
Mainly the servo focus. I found pulling focus nearly impossible on it, even with the deep dof it provides. The servo on two of these lenses that I used on earlier shoots does not respond proportionally to the amount/speed that you adjust. Since it's not manual, you can't mark it ether.. It's really frustrating when you are wasting takes because of focus problems. Also, the lens is not cheap when you have to import it, and ends up not being worth the bucks. Any suggestions for an ad-on?

Your 20X has the same servo as a 3X, so buying an adapter solves nothing. You're going to need to buy the 16X manual, plus an adapter if you want to avoid the problems you mentioned. Then you're going to run into big money problems you mentioned you don't want.

Guest Mike Andrade

I haven't personally used this adapter but I know people that swear by it. They say its less cumbersome than most of the screw on adapters and it goes on like a typical 72mm filter. Zero vignetting reported.

http://www.red-eye.tv/