Who Knows How to Get on Netflix?

steve hyde

• Premium Member

We are about to start the promotional/ marketing phase of a film and I need to learn more about the rental market and other strategies for selling DVDs. If anyone has any experiences to share that would be very helpful.

Thank you,

Steve

• Premium Member

Thanks Jonathan. I imagine having third party distribution is must...and actually pretty easy to get.

Any recommendations for third party distributors? A filmmaker I talked to once recommended an outfit in New Jersey and now I've forgotten the name of it.... I'll go looking for it - in the mean time if anyone else has suggestions on distribution channels, please chime-in.

Cheers,

Steve

EDIT:

Found it. Transit Media in New Jersey. This is the outfit Jay Rosenblatt recommended..

Link:

http://www.transitmedia.net/

.....any others?

Steve

Edited by steve hyde

It's not hard to get someone to distribute your movie. It's hard to get someone honest and legitimate to do it though on a good deal. But not hard to even get that if your movie is rockin' some socks.

It's actually not the hardest thing to get a distributor to CONSIDER your movie - especially if it has any accolade or name talent or any angle at all. If it fits their genre, they'll probably watch the first 10 minutes of it.

A producer's rep would be able to help guide you through this and tak a 10 percent cut of the sale. But if they land you a favorable deal, it's worth it.

Otherwise, you can just do your due dilligence.

Check out AFM members for distributors - there's a list online somewhere for sure.

Know that at some point you'll need E&O insurance before someone actually releases the movie. Often distributors are the ones who pay for this. But it is unlikely that Netflix would pay for this for you unless they were really excited about the movie.