eyemo+sound

Jonas

Hi,

Im getting an eyemo (with handle), and it's my first camera so I don't know much about using it. How would I record sync sound? Could I record the sound on minidisc and sync in Avid? Other smart, cheap ways?

Thanks for your time.

Primarily, I use the EYEMO to shoot silent B-Roll. I'm working on a project now where the first 10 minutes is going to be scored with no dialouge, so it's kind of freeing to just pick up and shoot without worrying about getting the sound right, and it frees up an area that you normally wouldn't use due to noises. Great camera. If you don't mind my asking, how much are you paying for it? I wouldn't consider it a polite question, but I hate seeing people get ripped off.

The last time I was in the United States, I went to a yard sale for someone who died, and I bought 2 Eyemo 35mm cameras for $600. I asked the young man how much he wanted for them, and, that being the quoted price, I gave him what was in my pocket as a deposit, and returned 15 minutes later with the rest of it. I love these camers, but they do tend to make a good deal of noise. I have shot two or three films with them, and, as Nykvist_Fan said, they are extremely good for B-Roll. The funny thing is that my daughter said: "I hate yard sales, dad. They look so trashy." I liked the look on her face when I showed her what they retail for on E-Bay. Yes, I am a man of the proletariat. :P

Some time ago, I began a thread asking about the specifics of the EYEMO. I've since then purchased one, and I can't beleive how nice the results are. I am a bit dissatisfied with the noise factor, so I too use it for silent shots, then cut it in with room tone. It works great for establishing shots or whatever you can think of. I love S16, but I will never use it again since i've got a taste of 35mm on the cheap. If you can get a way to muzzle the sound and shoot short ends, S16 is totally useless. Well, not totally, but great.

With the cost of a blowup, its just cost effective to shoot this way, and, if you can get the camera, then the stock for even 50% of the normal price, you're going to save more than the budget for most S16 films. My last picture was a $61,000 blowup, and, looking at this now, that's $61,000 someone can use to pay the crew, who will work harder if they get something, even 5 or 7 dollars an hour. Money to shoot more, or just expand the concept of a film. We could have made Pi for the price of that damn blowup.

Anyway, I have to find some way to get the thing quiet. Any suggestions?

What might work is to build a custom muzzle. Perhaps one could construct some type of soundproof casing that snugly fits over it. I have heard of people putting things such as clothing or fabric around it, but that is just not practical, and a good mic is going to pick the sound up anyway, so why give yourself a headache. I really would like to hear more on the process of silencing (or atleast reducing the noise), so it would be great to hear a more technical deconstruction of this issue.

I know you can get sync motors for the Eyemo, but I don't know how loud the camera is.

They're loud.Somewhere between a washing machine and a meat grinder.You can get them converted to reflex with a rotating mirror shutter.Not sure who does that or how much it costs but it's well worth it.They're awesome little cameras.My first job in the film industry was at a lab,the old guy that owned it shot newsreels in the 30's and 40's.He was shooting with one before it was considered cool.He tols them they would be shooting with one in a few years.Sure enough,it was one of the most popular cameras of the WW 2 era.

Marty

I don't own an EYEMO, but I barrowed one from a friend several years ago. I was quite bothered by the noise that it produced, but I (like everyone else, it seems) used it only for silent shots, and tricked in room tone, as well.

I have a friend who had one converted some time ago, but it was a friend of his who converted it, so he did it for cost. I'm going to call him and see if he can give me a number for somebody. I'll post back in 72 hours either way.

I've got a Nikon mounted Eyemo that's great. One of the problems using non-converted Eyemo's is finding good lenses. In fact I'm looking for some Cooke's if anyone has any leads:-)

It's possible to get some leather, cotton padding or foam and some velcro straps and make a blimp that will greatly reduce camera noise but these really are MOS cameras.

Has anyone figured out a way of remote activating the spring wound cameras?