Anybody going to try for "On the Lot"?

Robert Glenn

Maybe it's been brought up, but I haven't seen any threads.. "On the Lot" is a new reality TV show from Spielberg and Burnette where "16 filmmakers will produce short films in every genre every week and the viewers will vote on who gets eliminated. The winning filmmaker will take home a $1 Million development deal!"

Seems neat, but probably a needle in a haystack. It's got a youtube type of setup on their website http://www.thelot.com/ so there are probably a few thousand uploads so far.. Anybody upload their work?

Robert

Maybe it's been brought up, but I haven't seen any threads.. "On the Lot" is a new reality TV show from Spielberg and Burnette where "16 filmmakers will produce short films in every genre every week and the viewers will vote on who gets eliminated. The winning filmmaker will take home a $1 Million development deal!"

Seems neat, but probably a needle in a haystack. It's got a youtube type of setup on their website http://www.thelot.com/ so there are probably a few thousand uploads so far.. Anybody upload their work?

Robert

I considered it but have so little interest in doing a "Reality Show" that I just decided it ain't worth a million bucks. I'll be much happier teaching and trying to develop my own little indy films. Too many hoops and contracts. Wouldn't want to be away from my wife for four months straight either. I know some film shoots may have to be that way, but in our current financial status, that'd be too much of a strain. Mainly it's the whole "Reality Show" thing. Not for me.

I looked through some of the genres, and to be honest there aren't that many flms uploaded.. If you have a film that you can upload to them I would say go ahead, although you're right about the whole reality TV exposure crap.. plus who knows what sort of contract you would be under.. The American Idol contestants are pretty much owned by the producers I think.

• Premium Member
I looked through some of the genres, and to be honest there aren't that many flms uploaded.. If you have a film that you can upload to them I would say go ahead, although you're right about the whole reality TV exposure crap.. plus who knows what sort of contract you would be under.. The American Idol contestants are pretty much owned by the producers I think.

It's both a scam AND a great opportunity.

The scam part is if one is forced to live away from their home for extended periods of time yet isn't being paid on a weekly basis, that is a scam. I'm surprised the actors union (S.A.G.) never filed a lawsuit against reality TV for not paying their contestants in a similar structure to how actors are paid.

I'm not implying the same pay rate, just the same structure, with overtime and benefits etc. Reality TV shows have cut the rug out from many dramas because they are produced with slave on air labor.

I don't know, for the rest of your life your either 'that failed reality filmmaker' or 'that filmmaker whos only here because of reality TV' I really don't want 'reality TV' near my name anywhere. Its been my goal to have my work seen and known, not myself. Plus, you must write as well, so anyone who is more visual than they are literary masters will have a hard time on it. I'd rather spend 10 years working my way up the ladder than try and short cut it with reality TV. (plus development deal doesn't mean your going to ever make a film...for 1mill, I could make a 35mm feature. screw the development deal.)

• Premium Member
I don't know, for the rest of your life your either 'that failed reality filmmaker' or 'that filmmaker whos only here because of reality TV.

"Studio 60" pretty much laid it out last night when JORDAN mispoke and called NBS' Alternative (AKA Reality) Programming "Illiterate Programming".

Aaron Sorkin, I love you!

I'm just a little confused?

Are they also running ads on the site for completed feature films?

The top left has links for what appear to be completed features, ie The Creature of the Sunny Side Up Trailer Park. There is an IMDB page for the this film that says it was made in 2004

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0328899/

I thought the idea was for new up and commers to post short films??

Confused in Ontario.

Richard

• 4 weeks later...

I thought more filmmakers would be into the On The Lot idea, but it seems to get a real negative blast here. I think you should have a different attitude about it -- it could be a break or at least a hoot. I have thrown my hat in the ring and would gladly participate. Not for 5 minutes of reality show fame, but for the possibility of making some contacts to move on down the line. Here's my submission: http://films.thelot.com/films/8414 Take your best shot! :P

I thought more filmmakers would be into the On The Lot idea, but it seems to get a real negative blast here. I think you should have a different attitude about it -- it could be a break or at least a hoot. I have thrown my hat in the ring and would gladly participate. Not for 5 minutes of reality show fame, but for the possibility of making some contacts to move on down the line. Here's my submission: http://films.thelot.com/films/8414 Take your best shot! :P

So you're "Wrangler Dave"?

Is that the real you, or a persona created for reality TV?

As for "negative blast"....I would suggest that for the most part this would be a huge waste of time for any serious filmmaker. A lot of work for very little return. One would be better off to pursue more traditional routes in the film business. Trying for On The Lot is a bit like some one placing the success of their financial future on winning the lottery.

CTV in Canada is running the Canadian version, or it's running the way for Canadians to get onto the American version, not sure which?

On a side note I wonder how many submissions from women they will get? I mean there are so few female indie filmmakers out there compared to the number of men.

R,

So you're "Wrangler Dave"?

Is that the real you, or a persona created for reality TV?

As for "negative blast"....I would suggest that for the most part this would be a huge waste of time for any serious filmmaker. A lot of work for very little return. One would be better off to pursue more traditional routes in the film business. Trying for On The Lot is a bit like some one placing the success of their financial future on winning the lottery.

CTV in Canada is running the Canadian version, or it's running the way for Canadians to get onto the American version, not sure which?

On a side note I wonder how many submissions from women they will get? I mean there are so few female indie filmmakers out there compared to the number of men.

R,

Hey Richard,

I'm schizophrenic, so I go by many alias'. Wrangler Dave is a name I use when I do brainstorming sessions through my company, The Imagination Ranch. It is a name that has stuck with a lot of people. So, did you check out my clip? If so, what did you think?

The reason I decided to throw my hat in the ring is that I thought it would be an interesting experience. You are right that it is akin to winning the lottery -- which I rarely, if ever play. I'd rather work at doing something "real". Which is what I did years ago when I made my film. I think that the person that wins the show will get a nice chance at a break in Hollywood, and since I live in NC, I need all the help I can get.

Thanks for your comments!

Dave

aka Wrangler Dave

• 1 month later...
I don't know, for the rest of your life your either 'that failed reality filmmaker' or 'that filmmaker whos only here because of reality TV' I really don't want 'reality TV' near my name anywhere. Its been my goal to have my work seen and known, not myself. Plus, you must write as well, so anyone who is more visual than they are literary masters will have a hard time on it. I'd rather spend 10 years working my way up the ladder than try and short cut it with reality TV. (plus development deal doesn't mean your going to ever make a film...for 1mill, I could make a 35mm feature. screw the development deal.)

If I were to apply for the show, I'd be doing it for the experience. I could care less if I won or not, but the experience would be just one more thing to add to my baggae in film :D

I have a friend who is auditioning for this show.

Give him a look: http://films.thelot.com/films/1619

The music is a bit intense, but I think his shooting and editing are pretty slick.

Very nice :P

nice ot see my thread bumped back up... :)

best of luck to anybody on here that might happen to be going on the show.. I guess there's the whole reality tv star crap element to it, but instead of getting wrapped up in real life, you'll be able to pursue something in the field with few distractions

It's academic at this point. from On The Lot website:

Competitive entries for On the Lot are no longer being accepted. February 16th, 2007 was the last day to submit your film online or postmark and mail it in. However, we continue to welcome new content on the site and look forward to seeing more great work from our community of independent filmmakers.

nice ot see my thread bumped back up... :)

best of luck to anybody on here that might happen to be going on the show.. I guess there's the whole reality tv star crap element to it, but instead of getting wrapped up in real life, you'll be able to pursue something in the field with few distractions

a former apprentice of mine, now practicing director-cinematographer paolo dy entered his short film QWERTY. http://films.thelot.com/films/34972.

"A mentally-afflicted young man is accused of murdering his longtime benefactor. The truth of what really happened lies in his mad obsession with his supposed victim's old typewriter, on which he types relentlessly, day and night. /// The original upload of this film has received 31,000 views and a consistent 5 stars after 470 ratings :)

the exposure alone could be a big boost to his career!

please view the film and send comments!

boy y