Can you use large PL mount zoom lenses with the M2???

Chris_Burket

No.

The M2 uses lightweight 15mm rods, which I would never use for these lenses. In fact they probably wouldn't even fit. You need to use 19mm rod supports, and you can then use riser blocks to mount the M2 and for that matter the camera itself. A rod riser for the M2 is easy, but good luck on the camera as it will be a non-standard height adjustment. You'd likely have to have a plate machined.

No.

The M2 uses lightweight 15mm rods, which I would never use for these lenses. In fact they probably wouldn't even fit. You need to use 19mm rod supports, and you can then use riser blocks to mount the M2 and for that matter the camera itself. A rod riser for the M2 is easy, but good luck on the camera as it will be a non-standard height adjustment. You'd likely have to have a plate machined.

I have used an Optimo 25-290 2.8 with an Arricam LT and 15mm stainless rods. I'm sure 19mm rods would be ideal but 15mm do work. I haven't actually used an M2 with an HVX though so I don't know what you mean by riser blocks etc... I probably need to find an HVX/ M2 package to test things out and see what's needed I suppose.

But does the M2 have the ability to use stainless steel 15mm rods and support them? What I mean is, are the rod mounts plastic, machined aluminum, etc...???

Chris, that's the wrong kind of 15mm rods. The rods for the M2 are based on the lightweight frontrods of a 16mm or video camera setup. They're 60mm front center to center width and 87mm from center of lens to center of rod height. The rods you must have used are the sliding baseplate variety, 100mm width and 119mm height, plus offset width centering Arri-standard v. the lightweights centered width relative to the lens.

Again, the standard rod system designed for the M2 will not work for a big lens like an Optimo. That doesn't mean that you can't use a proper sliding baseplate rod system -- be they 15mm or 19mm -- and then use risers to mount both the M2 and the camera, but the supplied rods from RedRock won't work.

Chris, that's the wrong kind of 15mm rods. The rods for the M2 are based on the lightweight frontrods of a 16mm or video camera setup. They're 60mm front center to center width and 87mm from center of lens to center of rod height. The rods you must have used are the sliding baseplate variety, 100mm width and 119mm height, plus offset width centering Arri-standard v. the lightweights centered width relative to the lens.

Again, the standard rod system designed for the M2 will not work for a big lens like an Optimo. That doesn't mean that you can't use a proper sliding baseplate rod system -- be they 15mm or 19mm -- and then use risers to mount both the M2 and the camera, but the supplied rods from RedRock won't work.

Ah, now I know what you mean. I remember using rods like that on an older SR2 and you are correct, big zooms could never mount on those. We were using the sliding base plate setup with the Arricam/Optimo. I guess I'll have to get my hands on a camera and adapter and do some experimenting. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

The rods aren't robust enough and the adapter itself would tear itself apart if the lens was not quite supported well enough. They're pretty flimsy in their construction. I wouldn't try it.

• 4 weeks later...
The rods aren't robust enough and the adapter itself would tear itself apart if the lens was not quite supported well enough. They're pretty flimsy in their construction. I wouldn't try it.

Yes you can use PL mount lenses if you buy the PL adapter. I just completed a feature using Nikon Nikkors. Redrock sells a baseplate with rods, but I actually bought a different baseplate from ZacutoRentals out of Chicago. Their gear is made out of annodized Ferrari Red Aluminum. It's strong and looks sexy. As far as "tearing" apart, I suggest hard mounting the rig together- that is, normally the camera lens with the diopter just snugs against the M2 adapter. I ended up using a male to male ring to lock them in place. Redrock now sells such a system.