Last King of Scotland

Just caught Last King of Scotland over the weekend.Excellent film,I highly recommend it.There are parts that look like 16mm.It was shot with much handheld,doc style technique.Here's a warning if you're squeamish about violence:There were some scenes where I had to look away,and that's rare for me.The torture scenes had me squirming in the seat.

There were some shots that were quite grainy and contrasty leading me to think it might have been 16mm.It was also timed a bit toward the warm end,giving the piece a sweltery humid feel to it.

Anyone know the story on this film?

There are parts that look like 16mm.

Anyone know the story on this film?

They used the following cameras: Aaton Minima, the Aaton Super in Super 16mm and the Arricam LT on 35mm. Everything was shot on Kodak film.

Great performances and great cinematography.

• Premium Member

I'd be curious to know why lenses they shot on.

It looked very 70s style, and I though that in parts that worked really well (mostly the exteriors, which looked very warm and grainy) and in others less so (some of the interiors feel a bit crudely lit).

Just saw Last King of Scotland today. There are a ton of movies I need to catch up on, but I only had time for one this weekend. I made the right choice.

Excellent use of Super16. The whole thing has this great 70s news coverage kind of vibe. At the end, when they're showing the actual footage of Amin, it's like a seamless shift from the movie to the real-world footage.

And all performances were just top-notch

• 4 weeks later...

I thought it looked fantastic. I was sitting close to the screen in the auditorium - lots of granularity, but it gave it a nice texture and worked well with the story. Looked sharp too.

History Bloys however shot on super-16mm Fuji 500T looked soft, grainy and a mess.

Shows what you acn do with Super-16 and slow, Kodak stock like 7201.

It was shot entirely on Super 16 according to imdb.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455590/technical

IMDB is short for I aM DouBious.

They still have 'Ofelas' listed as being shoot in 35mm anamorphic instead of 65mm.

Sjoman's 'Troll' is listed as being shot in 35mm instead of S16.

& his 'Lyckliga Skitar' while listed as S16, gives the aspect Ratio as 1.37:1.

I would think the Scottish prologue was 35mm.

There are some shots, often interiors, that seem 35mm.

It was shot entirely on Super 16 according to imdb.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455590/technical

They still have 'Ofelas' listed as being shoot in 35mm anamorphic instead of 65mm.

I would think the Scottish prologue was 35mm.

There are some shots, often interiors, that seem 35mm.

Any information on the DI, if it was used?

Costumes, hair style, and production design certainly had an impact on the look of this film-- those elements justified manipulating film and giving it a tarnished, somewhat old-stock look, though it still looked like a blend of that and newer stocks that went through a modern digital grading process. I wasn't in tune to that very much as I was captivated by Forest's performance. Though the fast editing and heavy 70's-influenced film look certainly complemented his performance and the film overall-- exciting but dark film.

What is your source that it was shot on 65mm? 70mm prints are confirmed.

It's pretty easy to fix such things. Have you tried? With technical data for currently 190,777 films errors are to be expected...

Michel Hafner

www.imdb.com

What is your source that it was shot on 65mm? 70mm prints are confirmed.

The end credits on the print & the press kit.

The variety review gave the same information, but probably used the same sources.

The press materials also mentioned it was one of the first movies to use Kodak's 5257 250D stock.

The 65mm cameras came from Samuelson's London.

It's pretty easy to fix such things. Have you tried?

In Sept. '05.

Also sent in on the same day a cameo appearence in 'The Last Voyage' of it's DP Hal Mohr.

Reference numbers: 050910 174738-450000 & 175521-851000

So it doesn't actually seem east to fix.

• 2 weeks later...