Please, Light Meter Recomendation

I decided to buy a light meter finally and i was about to buy the Sekonic L-558Cine and then i notice of a new version the L-758Cine on ebay, please anybody know if this new one is better.

What you think is best for film and digital cinematography.

Thanks.

...please anybody know if this new one is better.

As David Mullen, a frequent poster on this site says, it's not a question of what meter is "better".

Light meters are a preferencial decision. If the 758 has features on it that the 558 doesn't, and you actually plan on using those features, then by all means get the 758. All light meters are good, you just have to understand YOUR meter in relation to the stock you're shooting on.

For instance, I just bought a Spectra IV for a much cheaper price than I would have paid for a IV-A. I could have sprung for the IV-A, but I had no intentions of using its Averaging/Contrast Ratio feature.

I don't know what new features the 758C has, but I've got the 558C, and I find it tells me more than enough about the light as it is. I've used it for both film and digital cinematography and have no complaints, however I bought it new and it was very expensive, if I were to do it again I think I'd buy two used separate meters. But I find the 558 perfect because I usually wear dickies pants and it fits snugly in the cell-phone pocket.

Ditto on the 558. I'm a huge fan of the reflective/incident. It manages a lot of calculations, and is sometimes called a Light Computer. Battery life is decent, just order the batteries in bulk off the internet. Otherwise, you'll be in trouble with high costs at stores, and in danger of running out during a long shoot. Although it's always nice to have one of the old Sekonic incidents floating around; they're cheap tanks.

You can get the European model cheaper. You just can't use to the Radio Wizard with it. No-biggy.

I don't know what new features the 758C has, but I've got the 558C, and I find it tells me more than enough about the light as it is. I've used it for both film and digital cinematography and have no complaints, however I bought it new and it was very expensive, if I were to do it again I think I'd buy two used separate meters. But I find the 558 perfect because I usually wear dickies pants and it fits snugly in the cell-phone pocket.

Regarding the photo here, if Kiefer wants to post on here I'm sure he's welcome but he should sign

up!

Seriously, that must be a blast getting paid to watch them shoot !

I decided to buy a light meter finally and i was about to buy the Sekonic L-558Cine and then i notice of a new version the L-758Cine on ebay, please anybody know if this new one is better.

What you think is best for film and digital cinematography.

Thanks.

Juan, in many cities there are photography shops that sell refurbished light meters,

including cine meters, for great savings with decent guarantees. Usually they got

them when somebody decided to trdae up but they often have all kinds.

A friend got a 3 temperature color meter for $500.00 that was worth more than twice that

and it works great. Sekonics are usually 40% off new prices and they're good if you find a

good shop. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Sorry to ressurect this old thread, but it's better than making a new one.

I'm also now looking to buy a light metre and wanted to know what one to get, either the Sekonic L-398a or the Sekonic L-308s.

Both do movie, but I'm wondering which would be the better choice.

Thanks!

I'm a fan of analog light meters and for the price £80-£100 retail you can't really complain much about the Sekonic L-398A. Having said that both meters have a cine function as well as still function, they have a very marginal price difference though you may prefer a digital readout.

Sekonic L-398A:

Measuring Range (ISO 100)

Ambient light: Incident light: EV 4 to EV 17

Reflected light: EV 9 to EV 17

Repeat Accuracy: +/- 0.3 EV or less

Calibration Constant: Incident light metering: Lumisphere C = 340

Reflected light metering: K = 12.5

Display Range

Film speed:

ISO 6 to 12000 (in 1/3 steps)

Shutter Speeds: Ambient light: 60 seconds to 1/8000 second (in 1, 1/2 or 1/3 stop)

Cine speeds: 8, 16, 18, 24, 64, 128 frames per second

Aperture: f/0.7 to f/128 (in 1, 1/2 or 1/3 stop)

Light Receptors EV 1 to EV 20

L-308S FLASHMATE

Measuring Range (ISO 100)

Ambient light: Incident light EV 0 to EV 19.9

Reflected light EV 0 to EV 19.9 (with 40° Lumigrid)

Flash: Incident light f/1.4 to f/90.9 (approx. f/124)

Reflected light f/1.4 to f/90.9 (approx. f/124) with 40° Lumigrid

Repeat Accuracy: +/- 0.1 EV or less

Calibration Constant

Incident light metering:Lumisphere C = 340 Lumidisc C = 250

Reflected light metering: K = 12.5

Display Range

Film speed: ISO 3 to 8000 (in 1/3 steps)

Shutter Speeds Ambient light: 60 seconds to 1/8000 seconds (in 1, 1/2 or 1/3 stop) also 1/200, 1/400

Cine speeds: 8, 12, 16, 18, 24, 25, 30, 32, 64, 128 frames per second (at a 180 degree shutter angle)

Flash: 1 to 1/500 second (in 1, 1/2 or 1/3 stop) also 1/75, 1/80, 1/90, 1/100

Aperture: f/0.5 to f/90.9 (in 1, 1/2 or 1/3 stop)

EV: EV -5 to EV 26.2 (in 1/10 stop)

All above attained from sekonic.com

As you can see the L-308S is far more sensitive so it would appear to be the obvious choice.