1200 Watt HMI

Brad Skiles

Does a 1200 watt HMI throw out enough light to be discernable on a sunny day in the shadows of a porch or tree?

My guess would be that it does not.

The largest HMIs I've used are the 575 watt versions (which I understand are small). I turned them on and didn't really see a difference. The bounce was much stronger.

Thanks,

Brad

• Premium Member

Well, that depends on how close you get the 1.2 to your subject. If your shot doesn't get very wide you can have the 1.2 just outside of the fame. But in general it would not be enough to really fill in a large shadowed area such as a porch. You can also figure that from a 575 to a 1.2 in the same position you only gain a little over 1 stop of exposure. Of course if you are using a PAR instead of a Fresnel then you can get much more light out of the unit but you get the idea. That's why 12K's and 18K's are the norm for this type of situation.

In my experience with 1200w HMI Fresnels they are really only useful on medium/close shots. On a wide where you need to put the light farther back to get an even exposure it does very little, in direct sunlight.

On the wide you might be better off with a 12'x12' silk and reflectors if you can't afford a 12k or 18k.

These are two MS/two shots with the HMI filling in. Though now that I think of it these are 575w, my 1200w was down that week.

20060716-04.jpg

20060709-14.jpg

I just wanted to thank everyone who replied. The pictures are especially useful when you are trying to get an idea how things might look.

Does anyone know of a good rental house in Los Angeles that caters to the indie crowd? I will be renting a lens from Alan Gordon so I may pick up a couple lights there, but if anyone has suggestions I'm listening.

Brad

Kevin,

I jumped on Wooden Nickel. Thanks for the suggestion I'll probably rent a few lights from these guys.

The Wooden Nickel Site listed:

1200 PAR (LTM) (ARRIFLEX) for $90

1200 PAR W/ ELECTRONIC BALLAST for $130

Am I missing something here? Don't all HMIs run off a ballast? Is the $90 version the lamp only?