i need some help with interpreting this..

Guest equator

Guest equator

This is about recent "Alien" restoration project...

here is the text they mention on the www.alien.com

"

To preserve and enhance the film's colors, the studio made black-and-white preservation elements, creating an Interpositive print (IP) from the original camera negative, which was then digitally scanned. "

Every non-professional article about film stuff is usually a bit

unprecise and unclear,but from this here i supose they ment

that color separations were made out of the original negative...

because separations are the only black and white things that have to

do with color negative films.

And i think by IP they ment just positive print because separations

are not IP's

IP is a color print from the original camera negative.

Do you people agree with me? Or is there another way to interpret this little text?

thank you

• Premium Member

Normally, B&W separation POSITIVES are made from a negative element, then recombined to make a color duplicate negative.

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products/lab/5242.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products/lab/2238.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/...html#operations

• Premium Member

It's confusing. They probably struck a new color I.P. from the color negative rather than use the b&w separations, which would have been positives, so you would make a color internegative from them if you wanted to (or digitally combined the seps to create a color image.)

So I don't know what they actually did. Maybe they combined different source elements for the digital restoration.

Guest equator

Well acoarding to other sources the original negative was in good shape and they found everything.So there was no need

for any alternative sources.

If there were color separations you would not be able to make an IP out of them,but IN istead because 3 color separations serve as a color IP themselves.

Maybe the writter of the article thought that every positive print is called an interpositive.That article is aimed at any reader,so i supose that the writter was not a film industry professional.

They had a chemically restored negative,and wanted a 2K scan of the film,why would they then go to print it to IP? There is no logic in that.And every source mentiones that the original negatives were scanned.

And the word "black and white" really sticks out of that text.You don't use it by accident when writting about color film restoration.I think that they did make new seps...

Anyway,that digital restoration was not really an archival restoration ,it was done for the new "director's cut" prints and the new DVD transfer.So then it makes sense if they made seps after a chemical restoration,before they scanned the negative.

And as for the IP,the only IP involved in the whole process was the one made after the digital restoration,but i don't think this is the IP they ment in the text.

vierd