Cameras used in pre digital Bollywood films

Rebecca_Bower

Hi

I am doing research into the technology of Bollywood filmaking for an upcoming exhibition. I'm trying to establish what types of film cameras were used in the industry prior to digitisation. I'm particularly interested in the period 1950s-1970s but any information would be helpful.

Is there anyone out there who is a technology boffin or better still a Bollywood technology boffin who could point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Rebecca

I have always thought that cameras used in India, especially in Bombay (Mumbai), are Russian equipment, though I know Arriflex cameras have been used a lot. As for 35mm anamorphic this was first used in the late nineteen fifties I think the film was 'Kagaz Ke Phool' 1960 (Paper Flowers) and the trend really didn't catch on on until the late 1980's and 1990's.

I would like to point out that very few films were anamorphic between the 1960's - 1990's. Today almost every film is anamorphic one of the major reasons for this is because the film industry really had to make some changes and differentiate themselves from television (which started to have a major impact since 1980/1), TV was really beginning to affect cinema audiences by the end of the 1980's.

If you message me I can find out more about cameras used before the 1980's and can get you intouch with some (now retired DOP's)

Pav

I have always thought that cameras used in India, especially in Bombay (Mumbai), are Russian equipment, though I know Arriflex cameras have been used a lot. ...........................

If you message me I can find out more about cameras used before the 1980's and can get you intouch with some (now retired DOP's)

Pav

Dear all

Thanks so much for your kind responses. The reason I am asking is that I want to see if any of the film cameras in our museum collection could be used as a three dimensional object in an upcoming exhibition we are displaying on Bollywood film posters (which as you would agree are rather 2D).

Pav any extra information would be most gratefully received. I shall certainly attempt to message you (I'm a little bit forum challenged)

Again many thanks

Rebecca

>>>>I just want enough (hopefully accurate) information for a theme panel and a label to give the posters a broader technology context.

Also so you know - I'm actually a social historian and a film buff but what I know about the technology of filmaking you could fit onto a postage stamp :) It would be appreciated if you didn't use abbreviations as I won't have the foggiest idea what you're talking about!

thanks again

Rebecca

Assistant Curator

Powerhouse Museum

Sydney

Edited by Rebecca_Bower

ok so i told you i am forum challenged and half my post disappeared - my apologies - here it is in full.

Hi again

Of course I am aware that digitisation is not an India wide standard. I wanted to make the point that we are not looking for contemporary cameras necessarily. The context for the original question is that the film posters date predominantly between the 1940s-1970s therefore we wanted to try and find the correct type of camera to display with them.

So I'm not trying to write a thesis - I just want enough (hopefully accurate) information for a theme panel and a label to display with a camera or 2 and to give the posters a broader technology context.

Also so you know - I'm actually a social historian and a film buff but what I know about the technology of filmaking you could fit onto a postage stamp :) It would be appreciated if you didn't use abbreviations as I won't have the foggiest idea what you're talking about!

thanks again

Rebecca

Assistant Curator

Powerhouse Museum

Sydney

Hi

I am doing research into the technology of Bollywood filmaking for an upcoming exhibition. I'm trying to establish what types of film cameras were used in the industry prior to digitisation. I'm particularly interested in the period 1950s-1970s but any information would be helpful.

Is there anyone out there who is a technology boffin or better still a Bollywood technology boffin who could point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Rebecca

Hi

there are still mostly only film cameras being used in India..HD still very far away.

as far as the 50's and 70's go, people in india were using Mitchell and the Arri 2A's and 2C's(which incidentally are still used).

most of the films in India(99% of them) are shot with the Arriflex cameras only.

regards

anshul chobey

india

Well, there you go Rebecca, you have confirmation from annother source in addition to the photographic evidence I listed the web addresses to, as I said before, Arri and Mitchells.

Excellent!! Thank you all for your assistance. You have given me some much appreciated leads. If the 3D content in our exhibition is a success it will be in large part to your collective assistance!!!

And if you happen to be in Sydney, Australia during June-Oct, pop in to the Powerhouse Museum and see our Cinema India exhibition!!!

Again many thanks

Rebecca

Excellent!! Thank you all for your assistance. You have given me some much appreciated leads. If the 3D content in our exhibition is a success it will be in large part to your collective assistance!!!

And if you happen to be in Sydney, Australia during June-Oct, pop in to the Powerhouse Museum and see our Cinema India exhibition!!!

Again many thanks

Rebecca

I will definately try to pencil it in Becky, but if we're unable to attend the gala event for some unavoidable reason like it's being held on the other side of the Earth, hows about postin' some pics of the shindig. I'm sure we'd all love to see them and be there in spirit if nothing else. B)