eterna 250d 16mm for green screen!

crille haag

Hello.

Im shooting a commercial next week wich features 5 different setups. They are all going to be shot in 100fps slowmotion so we have to use 16mm (no budget for 35mm sadly). Im shooting with fuji eterna 250D the whole way trough because its a good allround film for the different locations.

The problem is that one of the scenes are going to be shot in front of a green screen and now the director got worried that it would be a problem to do it with 250D film. He once shot green screen with 16mm kodak 200T and had big problems with the grain when they tried to key the screen.

Is it really a problem with green screen and 16mm nowadays? I was thinking of going with 64D for the greenscreen thing, but is it really less grain in that one? I´ve shot eterna 250D earlier and never had much problem with grain. I never did green screen with it though. Thats my only concern. I think we are doing the telecine on a spirit.

Thanks for any input on this one!

Hello.

Im shooting a commercial next week wich features 5 different setups. They are all going to be shot in 100fps slowmotion so we have to use 16mm (no budget for 35mm sadly). Im shooting with fuji eterna 250D the whole way trough because its a good allround film for the different locations.

You're shooting the greenscreen outdoors, I assume? Or are you shooting mostly indoors with daylight lighting? Just curious

Anyway, I've shot greenscreen with Kodak 7218, and didn't have any real issues with grain. You just gotta do a good roto job, and get the grain in the matte to match.

Eterna 250D and T are pretty fine grained stocks though, I don't think you'll have any serious issues. I just hope everything turns out alright in your telecine, if anything, my greenscreen issues have arrised after that phase...and it just depends on how good the telecine was.

• Premium Member

Super 16 Greenscreen is routine now. If properly lit and exposed mattes for composites are no problem at all. 7217 works well 7212 works better and 7201 works best of all. The key issue is 1) the keying software -I recmmend the Ultimate plug in or Discreet Combustion which has the keyer from the Flame and 2) what the transfer format is.

A really excellent approach is to do a transfer to hardrive as a progressive file or as a tiff still sequence.

Thanks for the input everyone.

I talked with a technician at fuji and he told me that I should stick with the 250D the whole way through. Like you said, if you do a good telecine and good keying it shouldn´t be any problems.

I´m shooting both exterior and in a big warehouse with daylight coming in. We are lighting the whole thing with large hmi:s. Then we thought we could use the warehouse as a studio and just put up the screen there, using the hmi:s as lighting for the actors. Saves time and money, he he he.

Would it be better to use a blue screen and light it with hmi:s? Or stick with the green screen?

Hi-

There are two issues I'd be quite concerned about: 1) shooting 100fps with HMIs and 2) registration of 16mm at 100fps.

I know you can do 120fps if you phase the shutter, but 100?

oh wait... It occurred to me you might be in one of those 50Hz countries? :)

• Premium Member
I would go for bluescreen my self , but its up to you and any advice you get from else where . anyway good luck . john.

Hi John,

I agree, every time I do a back to back test blue wins. Funny thing is most post houses ask for green until I test their skills!

Stephen