Student Made Music Video

Colton Davie

Looks great. Simple, yet a good lighting philosophy to use because it turns a rather mundane location into something more. The lighting as well as the shallow focus leads your eye to the band. The grade looks good, muted colors that suit the tonality of the music and shooting style.

If I had a complaint it would be that some of the closeups look a bit blown out on the key side. I hesitate to even say that because it could be the compression etc. Tell us a little about your camera and lighting setup.

Thanks for the comments. You're probably right about being a little too bright on the key in a few shots. Would you perhaps say this is most evident on the shots of the 2nd guitarist (blonde guy on screen right)?

For the camera we used a Canon XL2 with a Redrock M2, using Nikon 28mm, 50mm, and 105mm lenses.

The lighting consisted of (2) 1KW halogen worklights shot through a translucent shower curtain as a key, a 500W Omni bounced off an umbrella as fill, a 750W Tota as backlight, and a 250W Pro-Light through Tough Frost or similar diffusion for supplemental key on the drummer and on close-ups.

I would have liked to have added a little light to the background to create some interesting reflections/highlights, but we were pretty much using all that our resources would allow.

Any other comments would be appreciated.

You're probably right about being a little too bright on the key in a few shots. Would you perhaps say this is most evident on the shots of the 2nd guitarist (blonde guy on screen right)?

Exactly.

I would have liked to have added a little light to the background to create some interesting reflections/highlights, but we were pretty much using all that our resources would allow.

I thought the points of light you see in the BG in the wide shots looked good. Any more light and you might have overlit IMO.