Blackcell III

Greg Johnson

I few months ago I shared the first two episodes of my Blackcell paintball web ads / mini-movie. These were just to create hype and do something a little different in the paintball community.

Alot of you seemed to like what I did on the other episodes so I thought I'd share this final installment I released yesterday. It's a little weird but you might be interested to compare the two lens adapters I used. We were going for the Mad Max on ice feel I guess. Enjoy!

Blackcell III - Standard

Blackcell III - HD 480p

Blackcell III - HD 720p

The first part, shot on a sunny but cold day, I used the Redrock M2 adapter with Ziess lenses.. The second (and more cinematic) part, the snowy day, I used the same home made adapter with my Nikon 50mm prime lens.

The first day was super cold, about 9 degrees with 30 mph winds. My fluid head froze solid, batteries all died, and the M2 had a wobble. Also I learned quickly not to use a fast shutter speed or your footage will look very noisy, and you'll see the glass spinning. As for the other adapter you can read all about it in the other thread I linked up top.

Thanks for any comments!

- Greg

• Premium Member

Hi,

That's really rather nice. I missed your thread the first time round and I have to say I almost like the slightly more noticeable vignetting on the cheaper groundglass-adaptor assembly.

Absolute gift of a location, and the snow is beautiful.

And not to detract in any way from the cinematography, but the finishing touch and polish of the thing is really the soundtrack. Where'd you find that?

Phil

Hi,

That's really rather nice. I missed your thread the first time round and I have to say I almost like the slightly more noticeable vignetting on the cheaper groundglass-adaptor assembly.

Absolute gift of a location, and the snow is beautiful.

And not to detract in any way from the cinematography, but the finishing touch and polish of the thing is really the soundtrack. Where'd you find that?

Phil

Thanks for the feedback.

The soundtrack is a mixture of loops I used from Liqued Cinema.

The paintballs didn't freeze because we used special paint, and kept it warm. The paint grenades on the other hand didn't work at all. Even our propane heater froze,.. (I didn't think that was possible).

- Greg

• 8 months later...
I few months ago I shared the first two episodes of my Blackcell paintball web ads / mini-movie. These were just to create hype and do something a little different in the paintball community.

Alot of you seemed to like what I did on the other episodes so I thought I'd share this final installment I released yesterday. It's a little weird but you might be interested to compare the two lens adapters I used. We were going for the Mad Max on ice feel I guess. Enjoy!

Blackcell III - Standard

Blackcell III - HD 480p

Blackcell III - HD 720p

The first part, shot on a sunny but cold day, I used the Redrock M2 adapter with Ziess lenses.. The second (and more cinematic) part, the snowy day, I used the same home made adapter with my Nikon 50mm prime lens.

The first day was super cold, about 9 degrees with 30 mph winds. My fluid head froze solid, batteries all died, and the M2 had a wobble. Also I learned quickly not to use a fast shutter speed or your footage will look very noisy, and you'll see the glass spinning. As for the other adapter you can read all about it in the other thread I linked up top.

Thanks for any comments!

- Greg

how did u do your home made adapter?

Looked great man. How long did it take you to shoot it? Did you have any issues with light loss using the M2? Keep up the good work.

Two 6 hour days, one day was super cold like 6 degrees with 30 mph winds, the the second day it snowed and was about 30 degrees with no wind. It's funny the day that looks cold was way warmer.

Because we shot outdoors during the day I didn't run into any light problems with the M2. I used it on another shoot at night outdoors with one 2k and a two 650w lights and it seemed to work fine. I can post a link if you're interested.

Thanks for watching!

- Greg

please do. thanks

I'm not proud of this work,.. ha ha. This is the short version there was more footage in the longer one, but there was also talking heads for 5 minutes.

The footage is only the beginning, the rest is all graphics.

We used the Redrock M2 with a high speed Ziess lenses

Tippmann X7 Release Video

We had no time, and it was SUPER cold,.. just no snow this time. If you notice the paintball doesn't break on the guys head in the last shot,.. it kinda froze, we almost knocked him out,.. poor guy. Also we didn't have any real "X7" guns we made the video for. They were all plastic SLA's, so that's why you never see them fire. Kinda hard to make an action scene with guns that don't work, and no time or money. :D

I'm also the terrible voice,.. we had to shoot and do all those graphics in like 2 days,.. it was a hell of a time!

Sorry I can't find a HD version online, only flash,.. boo. (Have I played it down enough? Sorry.)

Thanks,

- Greg

Edited by Greg Johnson

I'm a big fan of your paintball videos and this one definitely sold me on the product. I didn't even notice the props weren't seen firing in the action segment, so good work cutting around that. The lighting on that first volley of shots from the X7 makes a very pretty spray. Focus stayed sharp even though it was dark out. Voice acting didn't bother me because I was too busy ogling the gun. Good stuff.

• 3 weeks later...