SR I Vs. SR II

gsheffer

• Premium Member

You should invest in John Fauer's Arri SR book. It'll clear up the differences as well as come in very handy should you come to own one.

And, I day say, you might want to look into an Aaton as well... but then again, I am awfully biased.

- nathan

• Premium Member
What is the difference between the SR I and the SR II? I am looking for a super 16 rig and it seems like I can get the SR I much cheaper.

Thanks

There really is not that much difference between a later model Arriflex 16SR and the Arriflex 16SRII, which all had the German motors and electronics. The earlier Arriflex 16SR cameras had French motors and electronics. These are considered much less valuable.

If you are looking at Super 16 cameras, the price difference you may be seeing could have more to do with the conversion. The premium conversions are done by P+S Technic in Germany and by Axel Broda here in the States and include the conversion to Super 16 and a PL mount. There are also less expensive conversions done by Visual Products in Ohio and Jorge at CinemaTechnic has a lower cost conversion. The price could also reflect whether a CinematographyElectronics speed control has been added to the camera, and a number of other factors.

-Tim

PS: Jon's excellent book is unfortunately no longer in print. You may be able to find a copy at a used bookstore or on eBay. You can also download an ARRI Instruction Manual and brochure for the Arriflex 16SRII in PDF form at this address:

Arriflex 16SRII information at Arri16S.com

PS: Jon's excellent book is unfortunately no longer in print. You may be able to find a copy at a used bookstore or on eBay. You can also download an ARRI Instruction Manual and brochure for the Arriflex 16SRII in PDF form at this address:

Arriflex 16SRII information at Arri16S.com

A copy is on ebay right now.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-ARRI-16-SR-BOOK-BY...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hi, I purchased an SR 1 a few years ago and I think I have a few pointers that may be of help. When looking at a camera, be sure to find out as much history about it as possible. Find out its maintenance record and speak with the tech who has been servicing the camera? Has the camera been a rental or has it been owned by a end user? Rental cameras tend to have a lot of miles on them and I've seen some SR 2 bodies run louder than a well maintaned and regularly serviced SR 1. Its true, its recommened that a camera should be oerhauled at leaast once every year. Some of these cameras are over 30 years old and some late SR 2s are near twenty so one must really do their homework to understand what they are investing into. When was the last time that the batteries were recelled? Is the gate steady Also, not all Super 16 camera conversions are equal. Find out who did the Super 16 conversion. Have the Mags been converted to Super 16 as well? Generally, buying a complete camera package with PL, Super 16, CCD video assist, CE electronics, baseplate, charger, batteries, etc. will be a better value than adding items seperately over time. Owning and maintaning a camera can be a headache at first, but its a great way to get hands on experience and build a reel with film. Best of luck with your search.